Chapter 10__The New Deal

"Damon, where are you?" I left him a message on his voicemail."Haven't seen you, Stefan or Klaus in days, and I have to tell you something about all of the above. Call me, asshole."

After I hung up my phone, I put it on the table as I began to pour myself a drink, turning around to see Klaus in the doorway. "Can't you knock?"

Klaus smirked. "Trouble in isolated paradise?" I didn't answer, taking a sip of the Scotch. "I think it's about time we had a drink, don't you?"

"I'd say we're overdue," I replied sarcastically.

"Well, you've been so busy with your plotting and scheming and trying to contact your only relative that still has his humanity to tell him the truth," Klaus said as he walked closer. "Then again, he killed your father, didn't he?"

"You know me," I said. "Never miss a chance to plan an epic failure or be an enormous idiot to care about and save the vampires that are having trouble deciding if they're good or bad every other day."

"Don't be so hard on yourself," Klaus said. "Who could have guessed one of them would betray his own brother? But then you tried to stop Damon yourself, to save him, didn't you? An idiot move, maybe, but it you can't be an idiot for family, who can you be an idiot for?"

I looked to the side. "Are you mocking my code?"

"Oh, no, Nicola, I wouldn't dream of it," Klaus replied sarcastically. "Rather than saving my siblings, I'd much rather use a dagger."

"Oh, well, speaking of your siblings, I did have a front row seat when your sister lied to you."

"Yeah, well, she's fickle, that one. And Damon says he has no idea of her whereabouts. Do you?"

He talked to Damon?

Oh, well.

Rebekah was downstairs in the cell with a dagger in her back, but I wasn't going to tell Klaus that.

"That's the thing with younger siblings," I said. "You just never know what they're gonna do. Not that I would know, being an only child and all, but I've seen a lot of it. I mean, Stefan with Damon, Jeremy with Elena." I held out a glass to Klaus to keep him busy and from finding an excuse to kill me. "Drink?"

~

I faced my phone on the table, sending a text to Damon. SOS, Klaus in house.

He's looking for Stefan. He stole something. I'm on my way.

I tilted my head, turning to face Klaus with two newly poured drinks.

Klaus took his. "Cheers, love."

I held mine up. "Down the hatch."

We both drank.

Klaus looked at me. "You know, we've actually got a lot in common, you and I."

"Really?" I asked. I tilted my head. "Well, yeah. Maybe we can bond over the fact our family's always ruining someone's life. Like Stefan, most recently. Why are you so mad at him? He stole something?"

"And you say you haven't spoken to Damon," Klaus said in amusement.

I held up my phone. "Just did."

"My family, the Originals. I had them daggered, boxed up, awaiting the day when I saw fit to wake them. And he went in and pinched  the bloody lot."

"Of course he did. Such a buzz kill, my youngest distant uncle." I shook my head, looking down. "Well, I'd love to find him." I looked back up. "Just the trouble is, I sure as hell don't work for you."