Chapter 12__The Ties That Bind

Bonnie had brought Elena to the witch house when I got there.

"I've been having these dreams for days now," Bonnie said. "It's like the witches are trying to send me a message."

"Yeah, they seem to do that a lot," I said. "Couldn't they make the messages a little easier to comprehend?"

Bonnie looked at me. "I wish."

Elena looked from us to the coffins. "I just can't believe that you guys kept this from me this whole time."

"Stefan thought if you knew where the coffins were, Klaus could threaten people to get the information out of you," Bonnie explained.

I walked toward the back coffin.

"So, these are the rest of his family?" Elena asked.

"Yeah," I answered. "Elijah and two others. This one . . ." I looked down at the locked coffin. " . . .is the one we can't open." I tried and failed to open it just to prove my point.

"We don't know who is in it,  or what's in it, only that I think my dream's telling me it'll help us kill Klaus," Bonnie said.

Stefan walked in. "What the hell are you doing?"

He looked at me.

I shook my head. "Try again."

"Don't blame Nicola," Bonnie told him. He looked at her. "I needed her to know about the coffin."

"And I needed you to keep her out of it, Bonnie," Stefan said.

"So what are you gonna do, Stefan?" Elena asked. "Are you gonna kidnap me, so that I won't tell anyone?"

"Don't tempt me, Elena," Stefan told her.

"I think I know who can open the coffin, Stefan," Bonnie told him. "And I need Elena to help me find her."

"Find who?" I asked. "What are you talking about?"

Bonnie looked at Elena, holding out a picture. "I couldn't place her face at first. Then I realized . . ."

Elena took the picture. "Oh, my God, Bonnie."

Stefan looked at it. "Who is this?"

"It's my mom," Bonnie answered.

Whoa. 

~

At home now, my hands were shaking slightly, my headache slowly getting worse. Slowly? Try ten times worse.

The sleepless nights, confusion, blurred vision, the headaches . . .

What the hell was happening to me?

"Nervous, are you, Nicola?" Klaus' accented voice asked, immediately making the shaking stop as I looked up in annoyance. "Or is the shaking a side-effect of the side-effects?"

I turned to him, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion and my gaze locked on him in suspicion. "What are you talking about?"

"You have no idea of what's happening to you, do you?" Klaus asked as he walked to a chair. "Well, actually, I can understand Stefan and Damon not sensing it sooner. It's a peculiar scent only a werewolf or a hybrid can sense." He sat back in the chair. "Speaking of, where is Stefan?"

I looked toward the door.

Stefan walked in. "What are you doing here, Klaus?"

"Enjoying our stalemate and Nicola's confusion and suspicion of something she has no idea about," Klaus said, making me narrow my eyes as Stefan walked closer.