Lin

I woke up smiling the next day because I'd had a dream about Pippa.  A really nice dream.  Making out was involved, but in her dream she was unsure, just like in real life.  I stretched my arms in bed and yawned, thinking about the situation.  I had a feeling I had the same qualms as she did – we didn't want to hurt our kids.  Our daughters were everything to us, and if dating someone caused issues, it just wouldn't work.  For whatever reason, Cam wasn't into being around Pippa and Molly.  I think it was mostly because Molly was four years younger than her and very girly.  I'd talked to her the other day about being nice to Molly, so maybe my words would stick.

"Daaaad!!" Came a yell from the hallway.  I heard stomping, and a few moments later my door flew open.  "Dad!"

"Have you heard of knocking, child?"

She rolled her eyes at me, a habit I was trying to break.  Welcome to tweendom.

"I don't have any clean underwear," she told me, giving me a look saying it was all my fault.  I sighed and swung my legs over the side of the bed.  I hated doing laundry, and I'd been putting it off.  I didn't realize my daughter's underwear situation had been so dire.

"So turn a pair inside out," I advised her as I grabbed my robe.

"That's disgusting," she turned up her nose.

"Then go commando," I said as I walked towards her and the door.  She looked even more disgusted.  "What do you want me to say?  Want to borrow a pair of mine?"

She glared at me.  "This wouldn't happen if I had a mother," she said coldly, and stormed off to her room, slamming the door.  Ouch.  Good morning to me.  Maybe I shouldn't be so worried about her feelings with the whole Pip situation.  I wandered out to the kitchen and started some coffee and made myself a bowl of cereal.

Cam came out a few minutes later, dressed, so she must have taken some of my advice.  I didn't ask.

"I'll do some laundry today," I told her.  "I promise."

She sighed and pulled her backpack on.  I looked at the clock and quickly shoved another spoonful of cereal in my mouth.  Then, I realized I wasn't dressed and it was time to go.  I ran back to my room and quickly pulled on a pair of jeans and some shoes.  Ready in a flash.  Cam had grabbed a breakfast bar, so we took off for the subway.

I was hoping to run into Pippa at school.  I hung around for a few minutes after Cam had gone in and I soon saw Pippa and Molly stroll up.

"Good morning," I greeted them both.

"Morning," they both said.  Molly was such a mini-me of her mother.  If they compared a childhood photo of Pippa with Molly, he was pretty sure he wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  They stopped next to me and Pippa tucked a strand of hair behind her daughter's hair.

"Are you gonna try to go in by yourself today?" She asked.  Molly looked at her mother and nodded.  "Brave girl."

Pippa leaned down and kissed her daughter goodbye, and Molly slowly began walking up the stairs.  When she reached the top she waved at her mother and disappeared inside.

Pippa let out a breath and turned to me.  "That was a big step, believe it or not," she told me.

"She's a nervous kid, isn't she?"

"Yeah, definitely," she said.  "I'm trying to get her to take some more risks. Little steps."

I nodded in agreement, my hands tucked in my pockets.  "Would you like to go grab some coffee?" I suggested.

"Sure," she agreed, and we began walking off down the street to a little coffee shop nearby.  We both ordered and found a couple cozy chairs off in the corner.  I self-consciously realized I was wearing the same shirt I'd worn to bed the night before.  Hopefully it wasn't noticeably wrinkled to her.