𝐯. Bad Liar

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚 — 𝙗𝙖𝙙 𝙡𝙞𝙖𝙧

     BETTY LOOKED UTTERLY exhausted, practically collapsing on Cindy's bed without another thought as Bren looked at her with concern. Brendon, who had seen this happen more than once, just continued to scroll through Instagram without even sparing the girl a glance. The Brant girl whined, throwing a pillow over her face.

       Bren's face immediately turned to one of concern with a mixture of alarm, hesitantly going to sit on the bed when she was lying and asked, "Um, are you okay?"

       "Just peachy," Betty replied, though her words were muffled with the pillow just above her mouth.

       "Right..." Bren trailed off, looking at Brendon for help but the boy just shrugged.

       It was a common occurrence so he wasn't freaked out by her state at all, but usually Bren wasn't around when she came into his room – because his dorm was closer than hers – and collapsed on Cindy's empty bed because the girl was always gone. Betty thought it was suspicious but never questioned it, probably just chalking it up to Cindy having a secret lover she had yet to introduce to the group.

       Brendon was glad that she never asked because, honestly, he really wasn't the best liar. He could keep secrets, yeah, but whenever he was questioned about them they somehow ended up in a bigger mess because the lie he tried to pass was terrible. But whatever, that hadn't happened yet so there was no need to worry...much.

       "Uh, so what exactly happened today, Betty?" Bren asked again carefully, not really sure what would set the girl off. Really, he had the right to be worried, Betty burst through the door then proceeded to slam it with a deadly look on her face before collapsing on the empty bed. So, the concern was valid.

       Betty gave a heavy sigh before releasing the pillow, throwing it somewhere else on the bed before sitting up with a terrifying look on her face that also illuminated the bags gathering under her eyes.

       "Work," she said as though it explained everything. And, with how often she complained about her internship, it did. "I fucking hate the Bugle."

       Bren frowned at her, "Then why are you still interning there? Shouldn't you, I don't know, try and get an internship somewhere else instead of torturing yourself?"

       Betty gave him an incredulous look as if he was talking nonsense. Brendon rubbed his temples, preparing for the rant that he had gotten when he had asked the very same question just two weeks earlier.

       "Do you know how hard it is to get an internship somewhere? Especially at a newspaper?" she didn't wait for a response before answering, "Really fucking hard. I mean, I guess I could get one at Buzzfeed, but their articles are a fucking joke and if I was going to try and work there it wouldn't be writing it would be as a video personality. I think it'd work, don't you?"