𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. Pity Date

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣 — 𝙥𝙞𝙩𝙮 𝙙𝙖𝙩𝙚

STEAM ROSE FROM his coffee cup that was warming his hands. The dark color seemed to entrance him as the familiar, awakening smell filled his senses and the warmth kept him steady. The coffee shop around him was loud, noises bouncing off the walls as people ordered then paid and then had their name read aloud for them to take their cup. Chatter from the tables which usually drew him up due to his enhanced hearing was just white noise now.

          Ned was in front of him, chattering away about the newest episode of Game Theory he had watched. Usually he would be interested, soaking up every word he said since he was interested in the new episodes he had missed, but today he couldn't focus. Too much was on his mind for him to truly hone in on his friend. And if Ned noticed that he wasn't paying attention, he didn't say anything yet.

          But Peter just couldn't stop thinking about what Cindy said. Cindy who was Silk, the same crime fighting spider he had been spending nights having playful banter with was Brendon's best friend. Brendon...the boy he couldn't help but look pathetically at because all he wanted was to use his Spider-Man confidence and ask him out on a date but he couldn't.

          Brendon, who Cindy said had a crush on his as well. But that couldn't be true – it couldn't. Brendon was great. He was funny, great at school and always had his back in Spanish when he slept through the whole lesson, and offered a superhero in a mask coffee at midnight for his troubles.

          So no, Cindy must be lying to him. Cindy must just be toying with him because his crush was too obvious and Brendon probably knew about it to and laughed at him because why would he liked little Peter Parker who couldn't stand up for himself? At least, not in his civilian form.

          But how he wished Cindy was telling the truth. He could feel how his heat would leap out of his chest at Brendon saying that he liked him back and being truthful. How happy he would feel when they would kiss and Brendon would hold him so close. Brendon would like him back and they would be together – boyfriends. It had him giddy to think of that possibility.

          It wasn't true, though, he knew that. Brendon could have anyone he wanted, someone beautiful and confident and who didn't stumble over his words all the time and sleep through lectures. He wouldn't want a disaster like himself.

          "Peter?" Ned's voice called out to him, breaking him out of his thoughts, "You alright there?"

          Peter looked up from his coffee, which was getting colder now that they had been sitting for a while (and he still hadn't taken a sip of it, "Hm? Oh, yeah. I'm just tired. Patrol takes a lot out of me, you know."