Chapter 4 -- Repairing the Damage

Two Weeks later

Sonja

I must have been nuts to agree to this. Why would I want to revisit this subject? I am all the way across the country. D.C. is full of new nightlife. New and successful men. Cultural opportunities and this wonderful and exciting job. Oh well, I'm airborne now. Let's see how it plays out.

LaSalle

How could I be this nervous? This is one of the few times that I am questioning momma's advice. I don't even know what I am going to say. I still don't know how I had the nerve to ask her to come after how I treated her.

I wanted to stop the meeting today and tell them all just to get out. Tammy rode my ass all week until I caved and told her what was going on. She said 'that explains why Percy was ducking my calls.' After I told her, she left me alone and gave me comforting words the rest of the week until I left the office Thursday afternoon.

"Matters of the heart are different" she said. "At least we know that Percy once loved you." I look at her in astonishment. "She told you that?" I stammered.

"Not in her words" Tammy responded "but in her tears". I look again. " Chris, there were a lot of tears." At that I just turn and walk aback to the kitchen for a refill. I could stand the thought of a confirmation that I had cause Percy pain.

I waived that shy wave as Percy came down the walkway.

"Hey Percy."

" Hello Chris." she quietly responds while looking around. I reached for her carryon.

"Your weapon will be over there" I said as I pointed. We locked step walking toward the security desk. She had pretty much asked about everyone when the security officer brought the case from the hold.

When we finally got seated in my truck, we both started talking at the same time. There was an awkward laugh on both sides, then a pregnant pause.

"Thanks for coming Percy."

"Not sure if I really had a choice Chris but I knew that I needed closure too."

"So do you want to eat first or go to the boarding house first" I asked?

"Let me get my rental and get checked in. I can follow you while it's still light outside."

"Hi Mrs. Johnson This is my friend Sonja Percy."

"Welcome Sonja. I put you up in room #3. The sun shines in the window in the morning. "Christopher is' welcome to join you for breakfast" she said half as a question and half as a statement.

"Well I don't know about Percy Mrs. Johnson, but there is no way that I would say no to your biscuits and gravy."

All checked in I wait for Percy to come back downstairs.

Once settled in the truck the first thing I notice is the smell of Percy's perfume. I did not realize how much that I have missed it?

Sonja was looking out the window. "You have no idea how I have missed you City Mouse."

Silence.

"No one could have told me that your absence would leave such a void in my life. Well, maybe they could have told me but I doubt that I would have wanted to believe them."

In the restaurant we had more small talk. Percy told me about her condo and the limited amount of information that she could about her job. She did say it was more exciting than she could ever have envisioned and that she owed Isler big time.