Chapter 12

HOME OF COL. JOHN CASEY

ECHO PARK, LOS ANGELES CA

"I really can't thank you enough for taking me around, John," said Amelia as they approached Casey's door. "It was so great getting out to see the sun and getting some exercise." Casey grunted in acceptance as the door swung open and he brought the bags into the living room. Immediately, he pulled the radio from the bag and headed for the bathroom, setting up to install it right away for Amelia.

A knock sounded at the door and Amelia turned and looked through the peephole. A pretty brunette in hospital scrubs stood outside, waiting.

"Who is it?" called Amelia.

"Oh, uh...Ellie? I'm John Casey's neighbor from across the way. I'm Chuck's sister?" Amelia looked in the direction of the bathroom but didn't see Casey approaching.

"Um," began the uncertain Amelia. "I'll be right back, ok?" Amelia went into the bathroom and tapped Casey on the shoulder.

"There's a lady named Ellie here for you, John. She says she's Chuck's sister." Casey groaned a little and told her to go ahead and let her in and that she was perfectly safe. Amelia nodded and walked away to answer the door.

Ellie's face lit up when she saw Amelia, and looked around behind her for Casey.

"He's in the bathroom, doing some installing on a radio," Amelia informed Ellie with a smile. Ellie cocked an eyebrow but at Amelia's gesture she walked into Casey's home. Ellie sat on the couch and Amelia followed suit, turning slightly to see Ellie in full view.

"Are you visiting too, or family..." inquired Ellie. She was very curious about Casey's house guest. Amelia smiled and shook her head.

"No, I'm Amy. Alex and I went to the same college and we try to stay in touch every so often, just to catch up. She's at the store right now so John is keeping me company until she comes back." Amelia was proud of herself for being clever on the fly. Ellie looked convinced enough, much to Amelia's relief.

"So, you're Chuck's sister? I like Chuck, he's a pretty funny guy," Amelia said, conversely. "Are you a nurse?" she asked, looking pointedly at Ellie's attire.

"Oh, no," Ellie laughed. "I work in neurology as a doctor, actually." Amelia was instantly impressed.

"That's incredible! I love that your work is saving people's lives!"

Casey appeared and saw the girls sitting next to each other on the couch, laughing and getting along well. That woman didn't come over very often so her presence was more than a little alarming.

"What can I do for you, Ellie?" Casey asked, interrupting the female pow-wow. Before Ellie turned to see Casey, she observed Amelia's reaction to Casey being in the room with her.

Amelia seemed to glow when he spoke, and when she saw him, it seemed as though she was a more relaxed and happy person. Ellie thought on this but turned to talk to the NSA agent who protected her and her brother on more than one occasion.

"John, hi! Have you seen Chuck lately? We were all set to have a lunch today at my house and he hasn't answered my calls." Casey shrugged nonchalantly.

"I heard he and Sarah were going on some type of mini vacation together, some romantic getaway or something like that," he waved his hand in the air dismissively. "Sarah surprised him with it out of the blue. They'll be back in a couple of days or so, that's all I know, Ellie. I'm sorry."

Amelia looked at Casey in wonder. That he could make up a story so quickly was one thing, but to put Ellie's feelings into consideration and even apologize like that was almost like she was seeing a side of John she hadn't seen before. He comes across so gruff and hard most of the time, but he really was a sweet man on the inside.