Chapter 3: Pointless plan

On the inside the Royal Barge was much nicer than on outside. Well, judging from the princess' attitude, Danny guessed that she got used to luxury. Thankfully, he wasn't given some janitory, but a very nice room to stay with a king-sized bed. Phantom definitely died again and gone to heaven. The entire ride went nicely. Without any storms so far, and even without Azula trying to burn him down. Probably because he hadn't bothered her...much.

Most of the time Danny was reading the scrolls he had 'borrowed' from the Royal library. It's not like the Fire Lord would miss a few books consisting the basics about the world. He had searched for information about Omashu. Apparently it was one of the most protected fortresses of the Earth Kingdom. Danny was baffled about how their fortresses were even penetrable, the earthbenders could just raise another wall after the previous one was broken. Thankfully, the scrolls had the information about how that system worked. So, Danny spent the time by planning the assault. After all, his future depended on its results.

In the last day of the trip Danny noticed that the crew was summoned to the deck for some reason. Phantom shrugged and, after some time of contemplation, decided to check what was going on. He flew through the ceiling and became visible on the open air. There he saw soldiers standing in two lines to the left and to the right from the princess. They were dressed in red and golden armor, with closed helmets.

"My brother and my uncle had disgraced the Fire Lord and brought shame to all of us," Azula told the soldiers as she strolled forward. The soldiers noticed the half ghost, who was leaning at the wall, trying to stay away from two grannies who looked ready to start decaying.

"You may have mixed feelings about attacking members of the royal family," the princess continued. "I understand. But I assure you, if you hesitate, I will not hesitate to bring you down. Dismissed."

The soldiers went back to doing their own things, and Danny walked straight to her.

"Incredible, you make the most inspiring speeches," he said sarcastically.

She sighed. "And the day began so well," she grumbled. "What do you want?"

"Nothing in particular, I was just curious, and my back had started to ache from all the sitting on one place."

"You rode a sea lion yesterday."

"Exactly. Yesterday. It was more like an exception. Besides, that thing tried to eat me all the time."

Before Azula could make rather obvious remark about her true wish, the captain called for her from behind. Danny decided to leave, so he slowly sinked through the ground. Soon he returned into his room and flopped on a chair. What was he supposed to do until sunset, the ship was supposed to arrive only by then.

Danny was proved wrong when he saw a land out of his window at noon. When Phantom visited the bridge to clarify the situation, the captain told him that Azula ordered him to ignore the strong tides, and threatened to throw him overboard if he doesn't obey. For some reason, Danny wasn't surprised. Unlike the princess, he could understand the officer's concerns. That rustbucket looked like it was ready to sink any moment, but Danny kept his opinion to himself, not willing to offend the pride of their fleet.

The ship had reached the port, and Azula had called for the ghost teen. With a look of disbelief Phantom entered her chambers.

"You have a talent of summoning me, Your Majesty," he said with a grin. "What can I do?"

From her seat near the mirror, Azula rubbed her temples. "I need a break from you."

She threw him a small tube, which was used for message hawks.