Chapter 20: Entering the prison

"I cannot believe this."

"Zuko, you said it five times already," Katara complained.

Danny's assumption about the fate of the Fire Prince turned out to be correct to the letter. Zuko indeed had joined the avatar's team to save the entire world. But the general attitude of the group was very apprehensive about the idea, despite the fact that Aang himself was actually ready to forgive everything before, being his cheerful and kind self. Katara openly showed with all her being her resentment, but the prince was not complaining. Most of the time. He knew what was coming, they had to warm up to the idea.

They were currently staying at the Western Air Temple. The temple was notable in that, unlike the other four temples, it was situated underneath the edge of a cliff instead of atop a mountain. The spires seemed as though they were built upside-down, and because of that, the temple was hidden to the passerby.

"I mean," Zuko continued. "I would have never thought that father..."

"Pfft," Sokka huffed, trying to make a campfire with the stick. "Come on, he is an evil dictator. Why should he care about some...creepy...vile being your sister is?"

"But to outright banish? It's ridiculous!" Zuko got up and exclaimed. "She was the only heir, now what is he supposed to do? Although, I think he was really pissed off at her."

"Why?" Aang asked, sitting on Appa's furry tail.

The thing was that Zuko had learned about everything not so long ago while briefly venturing into the town for supplies, the rest of the gaang was oblivious to the recent changes in the high circles of the Fire Nation. And the prince knew that he was about to drop the bomb right now.

"Well, Phantom bashed father so many times that his whole body was broken."

Everyone sweat dropped at that statement, while Sokka's jaw hit the floor in almost comedic manner. He shot up in the standing position and approached Zuko.

"Wait, so you want to say...that your buddy just went in...and almost KILLED the ultimate bad guy of our entire journey? Why didn't he?!" He exclaimed in exasperation.

"I don't know," Zuko responded. "His motives never were clear to me," he suddenly realized that of everyone present he knew him the best.

"But I think I do know," Aang scratched his cheek, jumping to the group. "After all, didn't the Fire Lord betray him first? Katara, you said that the balloons bombed everyone, right? Maybe Phantom took it as a great offense. Enough to cause all of this destruction."

"Well," Sokka shrugged. "It's a good thing the bad guys fight."

"That does not remove the problem with the Ghost king. Aren't you worried, twinkle-toes?" Toph asked, looking at Aang.

"I...I don't know. This threat is...different," the boy sat on the ground. "A spiritual one. We've got used to the Fire Lord and his soldiers, but...I don't know what he will do in the Spirit world, I am helpless when I go there. And he is probably just as powerful in both places."

"Has he done anything there?" Katara asked.

Aang shook his head. "Well, I think I would have seen the war if it was there. Although, Roku said that the conflicts in there are fights between single extremely powerful beings, where the winner takes all. Roku also said that the king's heralds are walking across the lands. He is seeking allies among the spirits, while the ghosts are already totally subjugated."

"Let's not worry about this until the time comes. There is still one war we have to stop," Katara tried to ease the mood.

Everyone seemed content about this, returning to what they were doing. They weren't the only ones concerned about the development. It was very torturous to be left in shadows, not knowing about the next move of the seemingly omnipotent being, so unpredictable and obviously dangerous if angered. An enormous rock would have fallen down from their shoulders if they knew what he was currently doing.