004; The Case of the Empty Boy

❧

SHERLOCK HAD REFUSED TO SPEAK WHENEVER she was in the room for two weeks, even if John tried to get his attention. She was satisfied. She was able to clean in peace, avoid the man whenever she would stroll next door in order to tidy up for them, as well as have some time to herself to play the piano her aunt had up in her flat. The music helped her ignore the fact that she was alone most days, the dimly-lit rooms making her uncomfortable. Perhaps it was because there was so much life next door that she felt so isolated, but she always reminded herself that it was better than having to deal with Mr. Holmes on the daily. She had just been returning from visiting her aunt while she was in the hospital, the medication that they had offered her helping her system fight off the nasty illness, when she stopped in the street. Julia frowned and glanced around, noticing how a few people had also taken the time to stop, listening to the sound of music drifting through the window of 221B.

"Excuse me," she murmured, finally pressing through the small group so she could get to the door, rifling for the keys within her pocket. She unlocked the wooden egress and stepped inside, shutting it behind her. Her heart fluttered and she sighed, entranced as she was introduced to a world of brilliant sound and colour. Her heart strings twinged and she slowly ascended the stairs, holding her breath. Finally, she came to the door and turned the knob, the violin's alluring hymn drawing her inside. The notes were vibrant and beautiful, and frankly, watching Sherlock stand in the window with his svelte back turned to her, she couldn't deny that it took her breath away. He was never off key, never missing a beat, always perfect; just as he was with his work.

As she listened to the detective continue to play, her hands absentmindedly ghosted across the material of her coat which laid upon the side of her thigh, playing the piano notes meant to accompany the piece. Her lips parted, becoming lost in the music and taking another step inside the room, the door shutting quietly behind herself. John did not seem to be present, most likely out with his girlfriend, Sarah. He is missing one bloody good show, she thought to herself, unable to keep the smile from leaving her face as the violin's cry rose up and up, squealing in such a heavenly manner, setting her veins on fire as the music welled within her chest and dispersed throughout her body.

Suddenly, he stopped.

"Are you just going to stare at me like that, or are you going to make yourself useful and clean?" he snapped, head turning slightly.

Julia gulped, startled by his sudden greeting, and allowed her hand to return to the strap of her purse. Clearing her throat, she turned without another word, disappointed that the air was now void of such a radiant song. Julia placed her things at the coat rack, hanging up her jacket and then adjusting the sleeves of her pale sea-foam shirt. The rosette eventually straightened out her glistening sterling necklace and then moving to find the supplies she needed. She travelled quietly down the hall and came to the washroom, where she caught a glimpse of her partially pinned hair and her pale skin. Kneeling, the young woman found her cleaning necessities, rummaging for a moment to find her duster. As soon as Julia's hand found the handle, she heard the violin's mourning return and beamed.