033; Home

❧

"I TRULY APPRECIATE ALL YOU'VE DONE FOR ME."

"I suspected you would want to save on money," Mycroft tutted, offering her an arm as they stepped out of his sleek black vehicle. It seemed that this man had connections, not only within London, but throughout the United Kingdom. Unfurling his umbrella, the pair approached the front door of her childhood home. She had missed the pale brick, the old eaves trough and the gardens, as withered as they were from winter's wrath. Everything was proper, orderly and clean, just as it had been with her aunt Martha. That was at least one attribute that both women had in common. "Besides, the service here is mediocre in comparison to London's."

With a shrug, she shot him a glance, then revelled up at the dark forest-green curtains in each window, reminded of the dress that John and Sherlock had so inattentively blown their rent money on after the Cob case. "It gets you where you want to go, Mycroft," she murmured, admittedly lost in thought. Nostalgia came to Julia in waves. Returning to her were memories of hide-and-seek, rushing down the rickety halls with the new puppy in tow on Christmas morning, playing their lovely piano in the water sunshine that filtered in through the open windows. 

Once they had found themselves upon the front step, Julia turned to the government official and sank her teeth down into her bottom lip. A knowing look washed over the man's features and he tilted his head down slightly, examining her face with interest for the first time in their strange, complicated relationship. "They will welcome you with open arms, Ms. Fuller," he encouraged. With a fluid hand, the eldest Holmes brother reached over her shoulder and pressed the door bell. A flurry of barks sent emotion straight up into her throat, and just as Mycroft dipped his head in farewell, she reached out and grabbed hold of his hand. 

The pair stared at one another for a moment, their family's setter's claws scratching against the other side of the heavy wooden door, she silently pleaded for him to stay for a bit longer. "Wh-why don't you come in?" she suggested nervously, feeling a bit silly now and letting his chilled hand drop back to where it had been moving to tuck into his pocket. Mycroft looked to have been caught off guard by the sudden proposal. The least she could do to thank him for going a step further and seeing to it that she arrived safe and sound at home was to invite him inside. "I can offer some tea. You can meet my family..."

Reaching into his pocket, the man checked a small pocket-watch and then pursed his lips. Julia waited apprehensively, feeling the need to suddenly apologise. Mycroft Holmes was a busy man, after all, just like his brother... if not more so. Being a government official was entirely different from being self-employed. Both of them were doing wonders for the world, but Julia knew that the eldest sibling surely had more on his plate and a horribly tight schedule. 

That was when the door flew open, the first to greet them being a silky Irish Setter, flying out from behind the painted egress and jumping up on Julia and lapping her tongue over her jaw.  "Velvet!" the rosette gushed, unable to contain the laughter that bubbled in her throat. "Hi, girl! How've you been? Oh, I missed you too!"