We're Crazy Enough to Feel Alive

Alex's POV

When I woke up the next morning the doctor said I could go. Thank the lord almighty above us, because I hate hospitals. The only thing worse than visiting one is being the one that all of the doctors swarm around. I noticed that Heather was still asleep when I had changed back into my t-shirt and jeans and converse, so Zack decided to take her back down to the bus while I signed all of the papers and paid for the medical bill, which was a lot for one freaking night. After signing the papers I went outside and found the bus parked in the garage, and got inside. The bus barely made it out of the clearance zone, but it was done and we were back on the road, headed for Michigan. "Move, injured person coming through!" I said as I grabbed a plate of three slices of pizza from Rian's hands, which made him groan and give me the finger. I just laughed and walked to the back lounge where Heather was watching something on Youtube. "Hey princess. Whatcha watchin'?" I asked as I shoved a bite in my mouth.

"Don't talk with food in your mouth!" She said, clicking on something. "It's like you're turning into Jack." I laughed.

"You never answered my question," I replied. She rolled her eyes.

"If you must know I'm watching the music video to Stay by Mayday Parade," she said, turning the Mac around so I could see the screen.

"Good song. Really good song," I replied as I took a drink from a bottle of coke that was resting on the coffee table.

"That's Matt's by the way," she said. I spit it back into the bottle, shaking it up so Matt wouldn't notice. "You're so gross."

"What? You saw him swapping spit with his girlfriend before we left. That man could have an STD or something. That is why we never swap spit with strangers, my sister. You do and I'll cut off his unmentionable," I said. Her eyes widened.

"That's nice, Alex. And don't worry, I won't. After Adam I don't think I'll ever hug someone again," she replied. I held my arms out.

"Not even me? Not even your big brother?" She laughed before hugging me back.

"Except you. You get a hug," she said. We both laughed. "So how long exactly will it take for those cuts to heal up?" She touched one of them on my freshly shaven face, which they had to do to inspect the cuts.

"They said about three or four weeks for the bigger ones. But I can't shave for a month, or some could reopen. That's a bummer because you  know that I'm a gorilla," I said. She wrapped her arms around my waist and squeezed me tightly.

"Gorilla, yes. But you're my squishy gorilla," she said.

"You drunk?" I questioned. She shook her head and slapped my arm before letting go and propping her feet up, typing something in. "You better not be," I murmured as she took a sip from the Sprite can in front of her and set it back down. I finished the plate of pizza and wadded the paper plate up, throwing it into a trashcan and missing so that a passing Vinny threw it in for me, murmuring a few words under his breath.

"Alex," she whined. "I want food." I groaned.

"You always want food," I reminded her. She nodded.

"Yeah," she croaked. "But I really want some Goldfish. Will you get some?" I shook my head.

"Get them yourself. You can walk, can't you?" She shook her head and hugged me again, squeezing me super tightly. "Heather, get your own food! I'm not your waiter!" She whined again.

"Alex!" She gave me the puppy dog face. Yeah, I was screwed. Why do I always give her everything she wants when she does that face? It kills me. I sighed.

"Fine," I said. "I'll go get you some freaking goldfish." She hugged me tighter and kissed my cheek happily, clapping her hands. "Stop it or I won't get you any! I'll just get me a beer!" She shut up, and I got her a bag of Goldfish and myself a can of Coke, then returned to her. She put the computer down and sat close to me, taking the bag.