24 | Subtle Hints

unedited

24 | S u b t l e H i n t s

"Okay, let me get this straight," Jessica announced as she picked up her speed, pacing around the living room and raging with fury. She paused when she saw her mother's lifeless body just lying there on the hardwood floor. "You think the death of my whole family is somehow connected? First, it was my half-sister, Abby, who I never knew until recently. Then my father, who was killed in a crash and now, my mother?"

Hearing his thoughts being repeated back to him, it really did sound insane. "It's a hunch," he said simply as he slowly sat down on the sofa, watching Jessica pace back and forth.

"No, that's stupid," she blurted out. The redness in her eyes was still present from crying so much. But after Aiden said some comforting words and reassured her, she pulled herself together. "My dad was in London all this time. Whoever did this had to have known he'd be coming back for my funeral."

"He is your father," he pointed out. "Of course he would come. I know he did all those horrible things to you, but that doesn't mean he doesn't love you. And to be honest, it would look bad if he didn't show up for his own daughter's funeral."

Jessica tossed her long, black ponytail over her shoulder and let out a long, exhausted sigh. "Still. There wasn't a guarantee that he was going to come. That was by chance."

He shrugged as he laid back into the seat. "They arrested Mitch for your murder, but he's still in jail. He couldn't have done this unless he had an accomplice." He gave her a look indicating that very well might be the case. "We're not only trying to find your murderer, but your family's, too.

She nodded as her dark eyes drifted to the diary on the coffee table. She couldn't help but to think the diary was meant to make this easier, but it only made it more difficult. It was like trying to solve a crossword puzzle that had multiple answers. "Yeah, you're right." Involuntarily, her gaze moved towards her mother.

"I would move the body but I don't want my fingerprints to get on her. And I can't call the police either. As far as everyone is concerned, I'm not supposed to be here and you don't exist. We have to leave her here," Aiden informed her. "I'm really sorry that this happened, Jessica."

She dismissed him with a simple wave of the hand and continued to pace. She didn't have time to cry over dead people. If her parents haven't moved on yet, then she would have a chance to see them again. But for now, she needed to solve the puzzle. "Maybe we should put together what we know about the people associated with me. We can see what their motives are." When she returned her attention to Aiden, he gave her a slight nod. "Let's start with Mitch."

Aiden's fingers drummed together in a rhythmic pattern as he glanced up to the ceiling in deep thought. "Well, he has sex with minors, and you knew about it. It gives him plenty motive, and he's already in jail. We know he has a lot of money and isn't afraid of showing it off. But then again, he has a family business to protect and I can't imagine he would want to jeopardize that. He'll lose his money."

Jessica turned to him, a sly smile on her face. "And we know Grace is one hell of a bitch. She's expressly stated her hatred for me and she wanted what I had - Mitch. Honestly, I don't really understand the appeal."

He held up a hand to stop her as he shook his head in disapproval. "But she is the owner of the diner. That would ruin her reputation, too."

She let out a shuddery breath. "You're right. Now, what about Nate?"

Aiden's eyes narrowed as he sat back. He rubbed his chin slowly as he pondered the idea. "Nate had a crush on you. I don't think he would kill you. Besides, he was with me when the car crashed. I'm not ruling out the possibility, but it is highly unlikely."