Purple eyes

"She is beautiful." Earth Said. She smiled as she pulled back her long, Raven, black hair. She couldn't help being sad. Her child would live a terrrible life, hungry and her future unclear. How she wished that her child would have golden eyes!  Anything but a color that would make her child poor.

"She is." Wood, her husband, said.

"I wish she had golden eyes." Earth said.

"I do too."

They stared at her for a long, long, time. Finally the girl opened her eyes, to reveal a pair of amethysts  glittering under her olive eyelids.

————————————————————

12 years later...

Amy bit her lip as kids snickered staring at her. 

"Hey, Amy," Lilly, the most popular girl in the whole school said. "Going to visit your broke parents again?" 

"They aren't broke." Amy said. Lilly smiled.

"See you later hon,"

Amy scowled. Who did Lilly think she was?

Her words were like a knife to her heart.

———————————————————

Amy got out of the taxi and handed 30 notes to the driver. He nodded and Forest got out of the car and to the gates of the Orange District. 

A solder in front of the gates grunted.

"Pass?" 

Amy handed the guard a small card. The gaurd nodded and unlocked the gates.

Amy glanced at her phone.

12 wood street...

Forest walked around for a while until stopping in front of a small run-down shack. She knocked on the door.

A woman came out with olive skin that might have been beautiful once, but was know sunburned. She had orange eyes that were faded after years of work and worry. She had long dark hair. She wore a brown, threadbare, dress with a black belt and no sleeves. Her hair was messy and tangled. Her eyes were bloodshot and there was dark circles under her eyes. 

"Amy!" She Cried. "My baby..." Forest let herself sink in that hug.

"Mom!" She looked up. "How's it going?" 

"Oh, It's great," Amy's Mother Said. Forest knew that was a lie.

"Come in," Amy stepped inside. The shack was small. Small fireplace, table, bed, shelf, and not much else. 

Amy smiled as she hung her cardigan on a hook next to the door. 

"Here," She says. Amy handed her mother a small bag. "Your present,"

"You didn't have to!" She Cried. She opened the bag. Inside was a bag with 4 gold coins, a gray dress, food, and a blue cardigan.

"You really didn't need to..."

"No, I had to," Amy said. 

——————————————————

Amy looked around at the tiny shack.

She imagined the small pouch of money that her mother kept hidden, not wanting to lose the little she had.

She sighed.

How much she wanted for her mother to have gold eyes, not orange.

It felt so unfair that she had purple eyes but her mother had orange.

Orange eyes led to a path of poverty.

Yet purple eyes led to a good life.