Chapter 5: Discovery

As the seasons came and went, Anonymous had begun to feel a sort of bind towards the sheepish boy as if something of an essence was urging him to stay by his side. He couldn't quite place it; he had never been exposed to such treatment ever since he could remember. The pup was not even able to tell if he lacked the ability or never wanted to recall what had happened to him before: The darkness, the needles, the tests. The nightmares seemed to have faded into his subconscious during his time with Shin, and Anonymous decided that he wanted to keep it that way.

For five whole years, the Rockruff was completely overjoyed with his life by his companion's side. He watched Shin grow from a shy, innocent boy to a mature and adventurous individual. Shin had made many friends over that time, yet he still claimed that he would never miss a day with Anonymous, even if it meant abandoning his schoolmates. He had promised to always be diligent in meeting up with Anonymous at his usual window spot.

So it took Anonymous by surprise when he strolled into the boy's bedroom one day to realize that it was devoid of his friend. Anonymous had made sure to scout Shin's usual route back towards his home for any signs but to no avail. He then sat himself down patiently near the doors of Shin's closet until he began to fear that something may have happened. For moments more he attempted to reassure himself that it was just his overactive imagination, but he could no longer ignore the bubbling feeling of uncertainty clawing it his stomach.

Maybe, he thought, he was in the house? Anonymous edged his way out of the wooden barrier of the room, trembling as he took his first steps into the outer hall, and gulped. His eyes then peered over the towering stairwell leading to the first floor. Unfortunately, the Rockruff knew very well of the risk he would be taking if he were to go through with his scavenge.

Shin had always warned Anonymous about being sighted by his mother; the mere thought of her even evoked fear into the poor pup's mind. The two always practiced hiding under covers, clothes, and even the closet just in case of an emergency where Shin's mother was to arrive so suddenly. He could recall that on a few separate occasions, this had occurred, however, Anonymous' instinctive reflexes had never failed a single moment.

The Rockruff had caught a few glimpses at the woman while he roamed around the windows of their abode, and she had much resemblance to his friend: Silky raven locks, deep hazel jewels that hung foggily beside her snow white flesh, and the rare occasions that she revealed a smile were genuine but plastic. Despite this, Anonymous had always sensed a sort of chilling aura around her. In front of her son, she seemed as bright as a sunbeam, yet she would turn away and a new face of terror and misery would be brought forth and eclipse the happiness she once showed.

Once, for an entire month after she watched Shin hurry off to school, she had thrown her head on the table and sobbed endlessly, grasping certain objects around the room with a sort of want. Sometimes she would scream and bawl herself to sleep for hours on end, but never in front of Shin. To say the least, it had confused, let alone worried the pup, but it was not his duty to come between the mother and son— especially if doing so would end his friendship with Shin. He knew the boy was strong, and overcoming this obstacle would be a journey the Pokémon would happily accompany him through.

Anonymous cautiously trodded throughout the living room, desperately looking for any indications of Shin being around. To his dismay, nothing seemed out of place.

Then there was a sound.

A faint clatter of some objects. A single door creaking open.

And then silence.

Anonymous felt his fur bristle with anticipation. He'd better make this quick. The pup padded into the kitchen and began to nose every cabinet and pantry. Blasts of food scents clashed in his nostrils, but still no evidence of Shin. Before he even realized, his legs began to quiver. What if Shin was lost? What if he was in trouble? Attacked? Anonymous couldn't describe it, but a blinded warmth, almost like molten hot lava, began rising through every vein and artery. His fangs ground against each other, and a dull ache rose from around his neck.