Chapter 12: The Revelations

Months later...

Speckles of amber dotted the pavement next to the department building from the glints of the golden star that adorned it. The newly installed border of green behind it cast a hue of emerald. It danced on the points of the shape like the gentle waves of a stream carrying a school of young Magikarp.

The low rumble of a taxi cab pulling up to the large parking lot of the facility filled the air, and the rubber tires crackled and popped against the asphalt beneath it.

"This is your stop," the driver announced to her passengers. She turned to face the man in the back seat. "Are you sure you don't need help with anything else?"

"I'm sure," he responded, placing some money into her palm. "Thank you so much." With that, he turned to face the glass pane beside him, staring out into the marvelous setting before him.

His partner, who was sitting patiently throughout the ride, trotted up to the door, placing his feet onto the edge of his matted seat. His new vest in which he wore proudly jingled with its metal hooks and cables, the Galloway words of "APF Service Pokémon" glistening with its white stitches against the sunlight.

"It's our first day," the man muttered hopefully into the window of the car. He eyes were filled with a hazed anxiousness that caused his partner to nudge him with reassurance. He returned his gesture with a small rub on the head. "You ready?"

With that, the two exited the vehicle. Steadily, the officer made his way towards the doors of the building with the Pokémon by his side, just in case if he lost his balance on the way, and pushed open the glass doors. He took a deep breath as he stepped foot onto police territory as if the finest sand were brushing up against his leather shoes. A small smile crept onto his face.

Finally. I'm here.

Instead of heading to the mission room, he found himself hurrying towards the back of the building, where the plants rustled with lush greenery and wild Pokémon.

There was a faint chattering in the courtyard, housing many of the new, inexperienced officers that had just been recruited into the police force, all eager to begin their daring assignments. In smaller clusters, some older officers stood mingling amongst themselves. Their gruff voices shared lively conversations and chuckles that danced around the area.

Taking a deep breath, the officer neared one of the groups in the hopes of getting their attention. One of the individuals, a lean young woman with piercing blue eyes and her silky blonde hair up in a sleek ponytail, stared up at him, a stunned emotion surfacing upon her collected face for only a brief moment. Her eyes drifted as if she were caught askance, thinking of how to address the situation. She then gently tapped the man next to her and pointed hastily towards the newcomer.

When the redhead turned to face the direction, his eyes widened with complete disbelief. He ceased all previous movement as his sight only rested on the man before him.

Slowly, but surely, his feet moved forward, his golden gaze still locked onto him. He could only give a short glance at the barren stump that had now replaced his left arm, draped with white bandages to cover the bareness of the lost limb.

In the blink of an eye, he launched himself into his chest, his arms wrapping tightly around his abdomen. He subconsciously began burying his flushed cheeks into the dark fabric of the other's uniform, the feeling of heat rising into his irises.