Chapter 4: A Companion

It was unexpectedly unnatural how rapidly the Rockruff had adjusted to his new acquaintance. Any other wild Pokémon would have immediately run off after that fateful day to continue on with their liberated lives, especially without any human restriction. At first, Shin refused to put aside the fact that Anonymous was still wounded during their first encounter. He had beckoned Anonymous to stay with him in his room-- at least until the pup was well enough to fend for himself. So Anonymous followed the boy home that day, and he was tucked into bed in Shin's closet with the remaining oran berries and a makeshift bed of his baby blankets and a soft pillow.

Shin would often check on the resting Pokémon every five minutes or so, adjusting his covers so it would warm his neck or simply watching him breathe calmly within the trance of sleep. Occasionally, when he was forced to leave his room for more medicine or food, he would come back and pet Anonymous' fluffy ears and quietly tell him stories about the adventures he had with his parents.

Anonymous would listen even if his eyes were closed, showing the faintest of smiles or letting out small grunts when the boy became more excited during his storytelling. The Pokémon always found it funny when Shin would notice his rambling and dramatically apologize to him. He always made sure to reassure the child by giving his hand a gentle lick.

Two days went by and Shin hesitantly allowed Anonymous to travel outside. Although he was worried about the Pokémon's freshly healed injuries, he couldn't shake the fear of Anonymous bolting into the trees, never to be seen again. His mind kept telling him that Anonymous should be able to make his choice, as he was not his trainer, that he should be happy for Anonymous if he chooses to find his family instead of stay for a while longer. Shin held his breath as he watched him tread around the area and curiously sniff the air around him.

It was then that something occurred to Shin as he studied the exploring Anonymous: The pup was clueless, almost as if he was never exposed to the environment around him before. He growled at the Cutiefly and began whimpering as they flew near. He pawed the grass cautiously and shivered as it tickled his feet.

The child bit his lip, spotting a fiery plumeria flower and plucking it from the ground. He soon bent down and called Anonymous to him, who came trodding over slowly. Shin held the flower up to Anonymous, who flinched at its bright colors. "Do you know what this is?" The Pokémon took in its scent, almost jumping back at the sweet fragrance the blasted through his nose. Shin chuckled, beckoning Anonymous closer. "It's a flower. You can use it to decorate things."

He began grabbing some more flowers in an array of varying colors, weaving each stem into the other as Anonymous watched carefully. When he was done, Shin placed the lei around the Rockruff's neck. "See? You can decorate yourself too. It won't hurt you." Anonymous looked down at the lei, continuing to shudder at its sudden presence. He whined slightly, and Shin sighed as he unlooped it from his rocks. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that. I know how nervous you can get." Anonymous glanced up at Shin, soon licking the boy's pale hands and feeling its clamminess.

It was then that a thought suddenly crossed Shin's mind. He took a moment to recollect his thoughts, gazing at Anonymous' mysterious collar while doing so. "Anonymous, can I ask you something?" he asked it, wetting his lips. "Do you remember where your home is?" The pup only stared at him, cocking his head at the unfamiliar word, causing Shin to tense.
"Do you... have a home?"

Anonymous responded with a disappointed blink of his aquamarine irises, which darted to a corner. Shin's eyes widened. Sweat began to dampen his palms profusely as he tried his best to think of what to do. The poor Pokémon had nowhere to go, at least that was what he suggested. The boy couldn't fathom how lonely it would get, or how it would even survive out in the wild if it got scared by such simple things. It bothered him as it began to remind him of a familiar feeling that had agonized him for so many years. He remembered it eating him alive and spitting out his empty shell only to gnaw him up all over again and toss him into the empty abyss.