Smoke

Okay.

I know.

I know I should tell Carly about the vision. I know I promised.

But I can't.

She'll get too worried about me. And I know I can't say that it's probably nothing anymore, but I want to. I really want to. I want to go back twenty-four hours, to where everything was just boring enough to make me feel safe. Part of me wants to say that if I ignore it, it'll go away. But a larger part of me knows that something inside of me has changed irreversably. Or maybe it was always there.

I hear a sharp rap on my bedroom door, followed by my mom's muffled voice. "Sweetie..."

"Come in..." I call, sitting up on my bed.

My mom cautiously pushes the door open, bearing a sloshing mug on mint tea in her hands.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay."

"Just keep resting. If you need anything, just let me know." She balances the cup on my nightstand and lays a hand on my forehead to check my temperature. "You don't seem to be running a fever. I'll check again in an hour or so."

"Thanks, Mom. Love you"

"I love you, too." She gingerly steps across the room and softly closes the door.

I wait a moment before reaching for my phone on the nightstand. I pull up Messages, my fingers poised above the screen. Should I tell her? She told me to let her know if it got worse. And it didn't get worse, per se. I put it down. If it happens again, I'll let her know.

~~~

"Mommy!"

My pudgy fingers scrabble at the shingles on the roof, but to no avail. I slide backwards, the rough surface skinning my exposed knees. Smoke stings my eyes and fills my throat, sending me coughing. My eyes water, blurring my vision so that all I see is brush strokes of black and red. I slide backwards down the peaked ceiling, gaining speed, until... my legs touch empty space. I probe the air, desperately seeking a solid surface, until my hands touch the cool, smooth plastic of the gutter. My freefall stops abruptly, the gutter creaking under the sudden strain. My vision clears enough for me to see the twelve foot drop below.

My little arms begin to tire, and I know that I need to take action. I look about for a drainpipe, or a ladder, but I see nothing. The chants of the mob on the other side of the house pound my ears, and I hear the sounds of shattering glass. Above me, the attic is in flames, and pieces of wood and brick threaten to hit me.

I squeeze my eyes shut and let go.

~~~

The sudden impact forces my eyes wide open. I lay still for a moment, trying to catch my breath, the cool hardwood pressed against my cheek. I attempt to move, but the tangle of sheets and blankets have mummified me.

I'm in my room.

I'm safe.

Slowly, an acrid stench fills my nose, and I realize that it's smoke. Fire! I panic, struggling to extract myself from my cocoon. I trip and use the opportunity to hunt for the source. I notice smoke billowing out of my closet door, filling the room. My head spins, the smoke fills my vision, and...

"Gwen! Gwen!" I open my eyes to see two pairs of slippered feet running towards me.

"Gwen!" bellows my father's rich baritone, "Are you okay?"

My mother's soprano shriek follows. "Honey! We heard shouting! What happened?!"

"Fire..." I wheeze.

I hear thudding as my dad rushes around the room. "Where?"

"Closet."

I hear a bang as the door is thrown open, followed by a string of swear words.

'What is it, honey?"

"Bullshit. There's no fire."

My mom kneels down by my side, stroking my hair. "Honey, what's going on?"

"I don't know."

"That's it. We're going to the doctor."

"Dale..." My mom begins.

"Am I wrong, Beth?"

The next thing I know, I'm being lifted into the back seat of our car, the lights of the freeway dancing through my vision like the fireflies of a simpler time.

A/N Heyo! Sorry for the shortish update, I just feel like this is a good place to stop the chapter. A quick thank you to anyone who is reading this. Tell me, readers, what do you think is up with Gwen's nightmares? A memory? Or a figment of her imagination? Also, a huge thank you to @nimsaj1 for the brand-spankin new cover. How do I end this?