Denial

Carly freezes for a moments, her dark eyes widening, her lips trembling, a hairline fracture in her composed image, but she quickly regains control.

"What- what do you mean, exactly?"

"We both know what I'm talking about."

She sighs, making up her mind, and sits beside me on the bed, grasping my pale hand in her tan, slender one.

"Gwen, I can explain."

"Explain what?! You cheated! You, of all people, lied and played with someone's emotions! You're not who I thought you were." I wrench my arm from her grasp and stride across the room and out the door. Despite my anger, I can't help but look back at the girl I thought I knew. She sits there stoically, gaze fixed on the spot where I was sitting, looking for trust that is no longer there.

I take the stairs two at a time, lost in my thoughts until I run into a tall figure in a UPenn sweatshirt.

"Sorry."

"Gwen Weaver, is that you?"

"Oh... Hi, Matt." I look up at him, at his dark curly hair and eyes that are just like Carly's, kicking myself for the nervous flush that comes over my face.

"What's the hurry? Is Carly being annoying again?"

My stomach twists, a sour taste rising in my mouth. "Um, you could say that. Just kidding, Carly isn't the annoying type."

"You don't know my sister like I do."

"You're probably right." I say. No one does.

Matt breaks the silence, "Ahem, so, are you leaving?"

"Yeah. Just need to call my parents."

"I can give you a ride."

My cheeks turn scarlet. "You don't have to do that." I squeak.

"I insist. Let me just get my keys." He smiles, and I nearly fall over.

"Yeah. Keys. Great. Can't drive without 'em, haha..." What the hell am I saying?!

We head out to the car he and Carly share when he's home from college. I climb in the passengers seat like I have a thousand times, but I'm on edge. I sit with my hands folded in my lap, back straight, furiously trying to contain the blushing on my cheeks. I wait for Matt to say something, but five minutes pass in uncomfortable silence.

"So, um..." My voice cracks,"how- how's college?"

"It's good. Class is challenging. Track is hard. People are nice."

"Fun!"

"Yup."

"..."

"..."

"How's high school going? You going to homecoming?"

"Yeah, probably. Carly and I were supposed to go dress shopping next weekend."

"Were?"

"Are. For now. I might have a conflict that day."

"Oh."

"..."

"..."

My house comes into view, and I shift in my seat. "Thanks for the ride!"

"No problem."

"..."

"..."

Finally, we pull into my driveway, and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. "Okay bye!" I call, tripping over my feet as I get out of the car.