Chapter 4

Walking into the lab after the weekend, I was in the zone, ready to surround myself with work and not be distracted today. Being a Monday I know it would just be busy in the lab with people going in and out of the institution. But everyone knows not to disturb me if it wasn't an emergency.

"Dr Violet!"

Déjà vu everyone?

"Yes. How may I help you again?" I asked the security personnel.

"You got a delivery today"

"What? Again?"

"I am pretty sure it's the same sender as last time" he replied.

That man is a masochist. Really hates himself.

"Please get it for me, sir"

He walks away for a minute. I check my watch, my time is being wasted. I roll my eyes, close them and hold the bridge of my nose.

Looking up I see the security with a bouquet of flowers, very similar to the last one. I chuckle darkly. A mad man.

"Here it is Dr Violet" he puts the flowers on the security desk.

"Thank you"

I pick up the card.

OUR DATE WENT LESS THAN EXPECTED. BUT I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DISTURB YOU AS YOU'VE MADE IT CLEAR ABOUT HOW YOU FEEL. I REALLY DO LIKE YOU VIOLET, I'D LIKE TO APOLOGISE IN PERSON AND I WISH YOU WOULD GIVE ME A SHOT. DON'T FEEL PRESSURED TO DO ANYTHING.
- LEO

I didn't think twice before calling Alexa this time and telling her to get to the lab immediately.

"Wow Vy, I would believe it if it wasn't happening to me. You're actually inviting me to your work place and I don't have to threaten you" I hear her humoured voice about 20 minutes later.

"Cut the crap. Can you see this? Can you see this huge ass contaminant that was sent to my office. Is Leo trying to be a pest or does he have a death wish? This is the second time he's doing this!" I'm pissed now

"Woah, you're really angry. You're swearing...wait second time?"

"No shit Sherlock. What is wrong with that man? What if this was taken to my office directly? What if a temp was around and didn't know proper protocols and put this in my lab. This huge ass monstrosity could have contaminated samples. He couldn't have sent one freaking flower or a card like a normal functioning human. He had to send something as obnoxious as he is" I let out in one breath

"And he has the audacity to say 'I hOpE tHiS sHoWs YoU hOw SoRrY i Am AnD hOw MuCh I lOoK fOrWaRd To OuR dAtE' jackass. I burnt the flowers the first time and I'm so tempted to do it again" The I go on to tell her the details of the 'date'

Alexa is almost on the floor now, laughing her silly head off.

"I don't know why you're laughing it's not like you're without fault in this whole situation. Answer me this Alexa, are you trying to kill me? Do you not like my happiness?"

Alexa sobers up a little.

"I gave him your number because I care for you. You've never let anyone in before. Even I and your parents are only allowed into the foyer and you're always emotionally unavailable. Do you know this is the most emotional I have ever seen you?" She looks into my eyes.

"Leo has only been in contact with you for a short while and already you're expressive. You're reaching out for help. Hell, you're actually letting me know how you feel. I know he was an ass before but he's different in fact that was a one time fluke and very different from who he is now. That man can be good for you if you just forgive and let him" she looks sober

"First of all, you have seen me emotional. Remember when we had that fight as seniors. I thought I was pretty expressive if I do say so myself" she rolls her eyes

"Secondly, I have let you in completely but nothing happens in my life that I can't control or deal with for the most part. So I don't have any big thing I need to lay off my chest. That's not closed off it's just boring. And I'm always at work and you know this and that why I'm not always seeking you out. Furthermore, you have your life, a job and a husband, I don't want to be a third wheel that's always disturbing you."

"You're never disturbing me. Ethan and I love you. If you want to never leave our house we'd be more than happen to have you" this has me laughing

"Honey, don't say that we're Nigerian. You'll like to regret that overly open invitation" she laughs with me.

"I love you and Ethan too but I will not be a third wheel to your sickly love" I smirk

"Excuse me? But is that jealousy I hear?!?"

"Get out! Anyway, I need you to please take that monstrosity with you. My work and my sanity isn't safe around it. Please feel free to keep it permanently"

"You're too dramatic. I think it was a beautiful gesture and as a 'functioning human' with home training, you should send him a thank you note. It's just the polite thing to do. I can believe you burnt the first bouquet, I should smack you for such foolishness" she shrugs

"But I don't like it and I didn't like the other one either. You don't thank people for doing what you don't like. In fact, you give them a good telling off"

"Haven't you told him off enough? Just say thank you, for me. He doesn't know about proper protocols. And I have to apologise myself, I didn't know what he was sending. I thought he wanted to come over himself. So just say thank you and I'll tell him about protocols in and out of the lab" she's grinning at me now and she knows I can't say no to happy Alexa.

"Fine but I'll just text. Make sure this doesn't happen again or heads will roll"

"Yes, psychotic Dr Violet. The rejecter of beautiful flowers and gestures and the roller of heads"

She kisses me on the cheek, picks up the bouquet and walks out. I take a deep breath. I don't know if I'm in the mood to work again. I'm emotionally exhausted and this is making me feel physically drained. Leo so far is not good for my health or my work.

But nothing gets between me and my work. I gather myself and walk into the lab.