Chapter 4 - Erikúr

CHAPTER 4

(ERIKÚR)

I almost vomit when I open the door so Kjell can put Liva on her bed. Her room reeks of alcohol and I'm relieved when Kjell comes out and I can close the door. Everyone assumes that the "Nordic siblings" are still tight as ever, but that's not true. We look out for each other but we are divided. Liva is alone, and we prefer it that way. Her best friends are bottles, not us. Sven and Kaisa stick with each other, rarely talking to anyone else, not that Sven was ever that chatty, and Kjell and I stick together. Kjell is the defender of Norway and we have always been close, even to the point of being able to understand each other without verbal communication, which is nice since neither of us like talking much.

Kjell squeezes my shoulder gently, his way of asking if I'm ok, and I nod. He nods in return and walks off toward our room. I watch him for a few seconds then walk off to get some food. I pass the hall mirror and stare at myself for a few seconds. I run my hand through my silver colored hair and notice how tired I look. All the recent nightmares about The Incident have left me tired with large circles under my eyes. Deciding to exchange my quest for food for a quest to get more sleep I turn around and head towards our bedroom. I open the door and sit down on the bed. I feel the bed shift behind me and Kjell runs his hand through my hair. I look at him and his eyes hold sympathy though his face is expressionless, he knows what's been keeping me from sleep without a single verbal exchange. He presses his fingers into my neck and gently massages my neck, ridding it of its tension. Our friendship is just that, a friendship, however it is a very trusting and intimate one. Comforted by his fingers coaxing my neck to relax, I fall asleep before I know it.

When I wake up at one in the morning I feel more rested than I have in weeks. Kjell is sound asleep next to me and our backs are pressed together. I'm so comfortable I don't want to move but my hunger forces me to head to the kitchen. I stand there barefoot and shirtless staring into the refrigerator trying to decide if the deliciousness of Antonia's cooking is worth stealing her food and risking her wrath in the morning. Deciding to just settle for toast so I can get back to bed quicker I grab the bread and turn to the counter where the toaster lives.

My breathing stops as my eyes adjust to the light. Lying on the counter is Monique. Her arms and legs splayed out at unnatural angles. Blood is pooling in her mouth and some has spilled out onto the table. I turn on the light frantically and see the worst part. Where Monique's core once was there is only a bloody gaping hole and her eyes are open, but there's nothing in them, just darkness. I sprint out of the kitchen into the hallway where the alarm is. I grab the handle and pull, setting off a shrill, ear piercing sound. I've now woken up all the European defenders. I've now informed them that something terrible has happened. I've now let them all know that our worst enemy has returned.