Chapter 2 -Resi

CHAPTER 2

(RESI)

Unlike all the other defenders, I remember my death perfectly. Every single haunting moment, and it's my ability to remember that has often led me into my brother and sister defenders' rooms, sobbing, in search of comfort.

I lived in the late 1800s. My father, a soldier, was fighting in war along with my two older brothers and my mother and younger brother were the only ones home on the night of my death. My mother was inside the house cooking while my brother and I went deep into the woods, my little brother wanted to pray for the safe return for our father and older brothers and my mother told me to go with him. While my brother was on his knees praying I looked up to the sky. The moon was full and so many stars were out I couldn't even begin to count them. A single white cloud attempted to cover the moon, but was too small to even cover half of it. The moon's light was shining on the trees that surrounded us turning them a beautiful silver instead of the dead brown they always were during winter and the snow was perfectly white and glistening. An owl called in the distance but besides that there was no sound and I basked in the silence. The moon shone down on my brother and I turning our blond hair a radiant color who's name I don't know. When my brother was done praying he looked up at me and his normally blue eyes had turned grey from the trees' shaddows and the moonlight combined. It was at that moment, looking into his eyes, that I knew my life was over.

Several days after my death the Guardian that took me in walked by the spot where my heart had stopped beating. My body was still there, frozen in the snow. My now frozen blood was still splattered all over the trees and ground turning the perfectly white snow bright vibrant red. My eyes were open and my lips were as blue as the pale winter sky. The knife that had run across my throat several times was lying a few feet away, the bloody fingerprints of my killer clear on its handle. No animals had picked at my body, perhaps because they were all gone, hiding from the snow, or perhaps because something told them not to touch me, to let my body rest until it was found. The Guardian leaned down and wiped the snow off of my face, giving him a better look. This particular Guardian was a newly awoken one with a newly created country and he needed a defender. I was the one he chose.

When I woke up from death I was nothing special. Just another defender with another mutation. I was treated equally and trained equally. The Nordic defenders took me in as one of them and one of the defenders was named my older brother because of our countries' relations. Everything was calm and peaceful for decades, until everything fell apart.

Until I was deemed a monster.