one

john took his bag out of his locker, setting it on the bench as he took out the shirt a jeans in it. he changed, stuffing his scrubs in his bag. he turned back to his locker and took out his coat, putting his keys in one pocket and his pocket knife in the other.

"great job watson." mike stamford said, clapping john on the back. "you've got yourself three nights of the night shift." he said with a shit eating grin.

john sighed and rolled his eyes, looking over at his friend. "i would've won."

"but ya didn't." mine said as he went to his locker.

john grinned and closed his locker, putting his bag on. "i'll see ya tomorrow, mike." he said and patted mike on the shoulder as he walked out of the locker room.

john has always walked to the station, took the tube home then walked a few blocks to his and sherlock's flat, but the last few nights he felt uneasy when he walked. it always felt like someone was watching him. because of that, john carried a pocket knife in his left coat pocket and sherlock insisted that he had pepper spray, so he had a thing of pepper spray on his key chain and he kept that in his right pocket.

him and sherlock have been living in the city for five years. john was a resident at saint bart's hospital working from six in the morning to eleven at night, and sherlock was the lead detective at the new scotland yard, working from seven to whenever. normally when john got home, sherlock was home unless the case was really big an important, and that only happened once because the two got into a huge fight about it. the case caused sherlock to forget their anniversary and it wasn't until a week later when sherlock realized it and john was still super pissed off at him and didn't forgive him for an entire month. next month would be their five year anniversary and john got butterflies in his stomach just thinking about it. he had been with the man who changed his life around for five years and john wouldn't have it any other way. he still got flustered when sherlock called him pet names and still got mad when sherlock would tickle him or call him johnny. it was a good five years and sherlock couldn't be happier.

john stopped in front of an alley way, hearing something crash in it. he pulled himself out of his thoughts and looked into the alley way, seeing someone duck behind the garbage can. john turned his head and picked up his walking pace, his grip on his key and pocket knife getting tighter. the three block walk only took twenty minutes over its usual thirty five.

when john entered the flat, he shut the door behind him and locked it, not hesitating before going upstairs. "i swear someone is following me." john said to his boyfriend as he took his coat and shoes off.

"i don't think so." sherlock said as he rose from his chair, walking over to john.

"well i think so." john said strongly.

sherlock pulled the boy against his chest, pushing back his over grown fringe and kissed his forehead. "i think you're tired."

john sighed and relaxed against sherlock. "i think you think i'm crazy." he said into the man's chest.

"i don't think that. but you have bags underneath you eyes and your body is very tense." sherlock said and tilted john's chin up. "i say we get you into a nice bath, then we can go to bed. sound good?"

john nodded. "yeah."

sherlock leaned down and pecked john's lips. "i love you." he said softly.

john smiled timidly. "i love you, too." he said and gave sherlock another kiss.

"dinner is in the microwave. eat while i make your bath." sherlock said and patted john's butt before walking down the hall.

after sherlock made the bath, he pulled john to bathroom and helped him undress then got him into the tub. sherlock picked up john's clothes off the floor and carried them into their room, tossing them into the laundry hamper before heading into the kitchen. it wasn't until after a few minutes that john started whining for sherlock. sherlock walked into the bathroom and looked at his boyfriend in the tub.

"yes?" he asked.

"join me. please." he begged.

sherlock chuckled and shook his head. he stepped into the bathroom, closing the door before undressing himself. john sat up so sherlock could sit behind him and once the detective was confortable, john laid against his chest.

"what do you wanna do for your birthday next week?" john asked sherlock.

sherlock spread his fingers through john's damp hair. "spend it with my baby boy."

john chuckled softly, smiling. "yes, but every year all we've done is birthday sex, and not that i'm complaining, but i want want to treat you to something special."

"do you remember last year?" sherlock asked lowly. "that was something special." he said into john's ear, nipping it.

john giggled softly. "you'll still get that. maybe even something better, but i was thinking i could take you out to dinner."

"you don't have to do that."

"but i want to. you always spoil with me with gifts, but i want to be able to do the same with you with the limited amount of money in my bank account."

"you can share mine with me."

"i'd rather not." john said, turning his head to sherlock. "that's your money."

"just know if you ever need some, i have it." sherlock said as he wrapped his arms around john, kissing his cheek. "and nothing with stop me from spoiling you."

john smiled. "i love you."

"i love you, too." sherlock said with a small smile, kissing john's cheek multiple times, causing the boy to erupt in a fit of giggles.