four

when john woke up, he stretched out and listened to the noise around him carefully, hearing the sound of sizzling and the faint sound of the record player. he got out of bed and walked into the kitchen to see sherlock standing at the stove as he mixed vegetables around in a sauce pan.

"what're you making?" john asked softly as he leaned against sherlock's back.

"steamed veggies with rice." sherlock responded. "how're you feeling?" he asked as he turned the stove off.

"tired." john responded, taking a step back so sherlock could move.

"sit down and i'll make you a plate." sherlock said as he got two plates from the cupboard.

john sat down on the other side of the table, watching his boyfriend work around the kitchen.

"wine?" sherlock asked as he set john's plate in front of him then one across from him.

john nodded. "yes please."

sherlock grabbed a bottle of wine then two glasses, setting one in his spot then john's. he poured their wine then set the bottle on the table, sitting down.

"did you read the letters?" john asked then took a bite of his food.

sherlock nodded. "i gave them to greg as evidence when he came by."

"did you see the pictures?" john asked as he took a sip of wine.

sherlock nodded again. "there was also a journal that he left in there too."

john pushed his food around on his plate. "what was it about?"

"you." sherlock said then cleared his throat. "what he was going to do with you."

john dropped his fork and sighed, leaning back into his chair. "why can't he just leave me alone?" he asked, his voice shaking.

sherlock watched the boy. "we can go stay with harry for a while. or we can go someplace different. have a small birthday weekend away for me. we don't have to stay here."

john looked up at sherlock. "but i had plans."

"we find a way to do them wherever we go." sherlock said and leaned over the table, taking john's hand.

john nodded. "okay." he said then sniffled. "we can find somewhere to go."

the next day, sherlock and john were headed to one of the cottages sherlock's parents owned in a small village in france. it shocked john when he learned that shelrock's parents owned many different houses in so many different countries, but then john remembered that sherlock's family was one of the wealthiest in england.

john got out of the car and looked at the cottage. it was fairly big and was covered in greenery.

sherlock walked over to john and gave him the key. "you can go in and i'll get the bags." he said then pecked john's cheek.

john nodded and walked up to the front door, unlocking it then stepping inside, leaving the door open for sherlock as he looked around. it was spacious. he walked around, looking at the pictures on the wall. there was one with what looked like a teen version of sherlock as he stood in a kitchen, baking with a woman that john assumed was his mother.

"will i ever meet your parents?" john asked sherlock once he walked into the cottage.

sherlock set their bags down and closed the door. "do you want to?"

"we've been together for almost six years. i'm sure your parents are wondering who you're taking to their cottage." john said then looked over at sherlock.

sherlock smiled and laughed softly. "they know of you." he said as he walked over to john. "they know that you're not some random boy, but my actual boyfriend."

"well that's good to know."

sherlock gave john a kiss. "i'm sure they wouldn't mind having a birthday dinner with us if you really want to meet them."

"but your birthday is tomorrow and i'm sure they're busy people."

"not when they haven't seen their son in two years and want to know who their son has been dating for the past five years."

john chuckled. "then call your mum. i want to meet them."

"and ruin your birthday plans?" sherlock asked as he wrapped his arms around the boy's waist.

john hummed softly. "as long as they don't stay the night, nothing will be ruined."

sherlock smirked and gave john another kiss. "i love you." he said softly once they pulled apart.

"i love you, too," john smiled.

"take the bags up and i'll call my mum." sherlock said and patted john's butt before stepping away.

john grabbed his and sherlock's bags and went upstairs with them, looking in each room before he found the room without a twin sized bed. he set their bags on the bed then went back out to the hall, looking at the photos that hung on the wall. he took his phone out and took pictures of the ones that had the younger sherlock on them, laughing to himself at the skinny boy with a mass of curls on his head. he went back downstairs after a a few minutes and heard sherlock talking on the phone so he wondered into the kitchen then out to the back garden, falling in love with the view. he stood there and let his eyes close, letting the cold breeze sting his face as he relaxed. the city smell was no where and all john could smell was freshness. he smiled to himself and opened his eyes, looking back at the view before he felt the warmth of his boyfriend engulf his back.

"we should go to the shop if we're going to be entertaining people." sherlock said as he hugged john from the back.

john leaned against sherlock. "i like it here."

"that's good to know." sherlock said as he pulled john back into the cottage. "now let's go to the shop so we can start our fun an eventful birthday weekend."

john laughed softly and turned around in sherlock's embrace, giving him a kiss, getting a kiss back.

"save it for tonight, baby." sherlock said as he pulled away from the kiss.

john grinned and bit his lip, closing the door then ran out the front door after he gave sherlock's but a nice smack, hearing the laughter of his boyfriend come after him.