two

john walked into the hospital, grabbed a cup of coffee then head to the locker room, changing into his scrubs. he's been covering people's shifts so they could take saturday for him because that was sherlock's birthday and he wanted to treat him well all day. john was behind on his sleep, but he was a resident so it was normal for him. the good thing was, he didn't have to cover the er, he just had to check up on patients, assist on surgery and those didn't tire him as much as working in the er. unless something unexpected happened. then john would be in for a real treat.

at his lunch break, sherlock came to see him, bringing him alfredo pasta from angelo's. he sat with john in the canteen as he scoffed down his food.

"slow down," sherlock chuckled as he watched his boyfriend.

john swallowed the moth full of food. "i didn't eat breakfast." he said then took sherlock's tea, taking a sip.

"or dinner last night."

"i was tired." john said as he continued to eat.

"greg informed me about something today." sherlock said.

"hmm?" john hummed as he chewed his food.

"jim got out last week." he said the watch john's eyes go wide as he almost started choking.

john swallowed his food and continued to cough, taking sherlock's tea and taking a gulp of it before he caught his breath. "he has another two years i thought."

"got out early for good behavior apparently." sherlock said and offered john the rest of his tea. "i can get a new restraining order tonight and you can sign it at home."

john nodded. "sounds good." he said and took a smaller bite of his pasta. "do you think he'll come after me?" he asked sherlock.

sherlock shrugged. "it's hard to tell. he sent the letters two years ago. he's probably over it by now if he hasn't tried to contact you in any way."

"can we still get a restraining order even if he hasn't done anything?" the boy asked as he watched sherlock.

"we have enough proof for them to, but if they don't, we can always go to greg."

john nodded. his pager went off and he took it off his hip, standing up as he put it back into his pocket. "i don't know when i'll be home." john said as he closed the togo box.

sherlock stood with him. "want me to wait?"

john shook his head. "no. just make sure there's something out for me to eat, please." he said then gave sherlock a kiss. "love you!" he said before running off.

sherlock watched the boy before he turned to their table, picking up his empty tea and the napkins used by john. when he walked over to the trash can and felt a pair of eyes on him. sherlock threw the trash away then turned around, scanning the canteen. his eyes landed on the barista at the small coffee kiosk. the man turned his head in the other direction and sherlock walked off, leaving the problem to be.

"watson!" john's attendant shouted. "i need you to cover lucas in the er. he'll be taking your rounds."

john continued to do his paper work, shaking his head. "i said i wasn't working er tonight."

"i also said i wasn't having kids, but look at where we are."

john sighed and rolled his eyes, closing the binder and handing it to the nurse. he stuck his pen back into his pocket before going to the er. he saw lucas sitting at the nurses station with his feet on the desk.

"about time, watson!" lucas exclaimed as he stood up. "have fun getting home to your boyfriend now." he said with a taunting smile, patting john on the back before he walked out of the er.