Jaycob Riley: Daily Log

Day 365:

It's been exactly one year since the beginning of the zombie apocalypse as of today. During its primal stage, the infection was spread all across the globe. Genesis Pharmaceuticals had sent this weaponized cure to the most populated places where Vermors was present. After hitting India and Europe, the virus spread to the states. After that Eastern Asia. After that, everywhere else thereof. Even the islands were no strangers to the virus.

There are so many bodies; bodies of men, women, and children. Every single one of them have been infected by this outbreak. The Z-Corps wasn't able to stop it. Fort Worth, Texas, was our last hope, and it crumbled to the ground. The only remaining members of the Z-Corps were Brandon Peterson, Tyrese Jones, Trystan Xavier, and myself. The other two survivors with us were civilians.

We told ourselves that this would not be the end. As small as we were, we pushed on. We rescued other survivors. When we didn't have enough room to fit them in our vehicle, we found buses and repaired and refueled them. When we needed help, we appointed some of the civilians. When we didn't have enough weapons, we found caches and armories. Never thought that we would come across a couple of working helicopters, but when we did, we appointed those that knew how to fly them.

Before too long, we rebuilt the Z-Corps. I'm thankful for those civilians that were eager to help out and put their life on the line as well. They didn't have to, but they chose to do so in hopes of rebuilding humanity. I'm also glad that we have help from Lieutenant Kyle Williams and his squad on HR-Team Alpha. Also glad we have a council that is doing their part as well.

We have so many people now. Enough for a small town. The only thing we gotta do now is find a place to actually stay; somewhere that the infection hasn't come across. To be honest, I'm not even sure if there is such a place anymore, but we gotta keep trying. We're gonna push on until we find a place to start over.

There is so much pain buried inside. I'm starting to lose it. I go out on runs with HR-Team Alpha and a Scavenger party to clear my head. But I don't know. Dylan... my best friend... I let him go. I sent that man to his death. I left him to those monsters.

My other half... my queen... my wife... Cassandra... gone; not ever coming back. The memories... seeing her that way and ending her with my own hands. I couldn't save her in time; I wasn't fast enough. I don't know if she... even knew I was alive.

Those nightmares keep coming to me, eating me alive from the inside out. The only reason why I don't bite a bullet now is because of my promise I made her. I told her I would find a place, and I'm gonna do just that. Maybe I'll end it when I get there.