Chapter 15

After thirty minutes of riding down the highway, the convoy began to pass a white church, a doctor's office, a community center, and a small green sign that read 'Mayo City Limits.' The convoy had also passed a large water tower with the town's name labelled on it, a grocery store, and passed by a small strip of building on both sides, parallel to the main street.

The convoy of civilian buses parked at the only traffic intersection, which was placed directly in the center of town. As everyone stepped out to stretch their legs, they scoped around their new settlement. In one direction, there was a large white courthouse hoisting a bell tower. In another direction, an abandoned coffee shop right at the corner of the intersection, built in with the other brick buildings.

As the survivors gazed around at what could potentially be their home to stay, Tyrese appeared to the group, with Bryan and Brandon following him.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Tyrese began. "As you can see, this town is completely vacant. We are are able to stay in the entirety of the city limits, as it has been cleared by our military. As usual, you are free to roam around within the borders that have been set up."

Tyrese then pointed to a large, white building that appeared to be three stories high, with many doors and windows, and a large wooden sign in front of the building that read 'Le Chateau de Lafayette.'

"That building there," Tyrese continued. "Has a couple of different rooms and beds in it. There is privacy, and the plumbing does work, so you can also take showers and do whatever. If there is not enough room, let one of know. There is some housing, as well as an old high school nearby. We will be able to accommodate your needs."

"The council will be residing in the courthouse," Bryan added as he pointed towards the courthouse. "The gas station across from us is where all of our supplies, as well as your belongings, are currently being held at. Feel free to grab your belongings and make yourselves at home."

"One more thing," Tyrese finished. "I understand that some of you believe that we might be settling here permanently. I don't blame you. I want us to be here for good as well. But let's try not to get our hopes up too much. If we can make sure that this will be a permanent settlement, then I will personally make sure that all of you know."

With that, everyone grabbed their belongings from the gas station across from the courthouse before proceeding to the chateau. Before Tyrese could head to the military outpost, Jake stopped him.

"Hey, Marshal," Jake said. "Are you sure this is a good place?"

"Of course," Tyrese answered. "I mean, we had to disable the bell at the courthouse, and we had to disable a siren near the jailhouse in case it went off, but other than that, yeah. Something wrong?"

"I don't know. I just have a weird feeling about this place; probably nothing. I'm gonna go take a walk and clear my head."

"Alright, Jake."

With that, Jake proceeded to walk down the main street stip, heading towards the water tower. As he did, Tyrese noticed Kaylee handing out luggage to survivors.

"Hey, Kaylee," Tyrese called out.

"Yes, Marshall?" Kaylee responded, dropping her task and heading towards Tyrese.

"Hey, I didn't mean to interrupt you, but I really need a huge favor from you if you don't mind."

"Of course."

Tyrese turned his attention to Jake, who continued to stroll down main street.

"I need you to keep an eye on Jake," Tyrese requested. "I would do it myself, but I am overseeing everything and getting all of this taken care of. That and I know you and him are very close. Something's off with him today, and I don't want him to be alone at the moment."