Chapter 13

"So Jake," Bryan began. "How's your day today?"

"Can't complain," Jake answered. "No reason to anyways."

"That's good to know."

Jake sat in a foldable metal chair in front of Bryan. Both Jake and Bryan sat in a small tent next to the civilian camp, which was now settled three miles west of Perry, Florida.

"I have been reading some of your entry logs that you gave me," Bryan said.

"Yeah," Jake responded. "Have you taken some thought in those logs?"

"I have. Judging by the contents before we started counseling and since we've been counseling, I've noticed a lot of improvement."

"Thank you. It's helped."

Bryan grinned at Jake's satisfaction with the counseling sessions.

"So we're going to be moving again tomorrow," Bryan continued. "How do you feel about that?"

"Nothing I'm not used to by now," Jake answered.

"Well just because you're used to it doesn't mean you don't have any thoughts about it."

"If you must know, I'm just hoping we find somewhere soon. It's a little different, that's for sure. Not knowing where you're going, and wondering if where youre staying will be where you live for good or not. And what then if we do? Won't have a reason to fight much anymore."

"Change can be pretty difficult, although normal," Bryan agreed. "We've all been migrating every month. So to civilians, it's the monthly migrations. In your case, transitioning from military life to civilian life once more."

"Yeah, it's gonna be difficult for everyone once we do find a permanent settlement," Jake responded. "I think you're gonna be on call twenty-four seven for a while."

"The funny thing is that you're probably right."

The two of them chuckled as Bryan offered Jake a bottled water sitting on a small table next to him. As Jake accepted the cool, clear beverage, Bryan grabbed a bottle of his own, guzzling down a third of what was in that bottle.

"So," Bryan proceeded. "We spoke of the events since the beginning of the settlement, your endeavors with Brandon and Tyrese, and we spoke of your time in the navy. Why don't we go somewhere else?"

"Sure," Jake nodded. "What's on your mind?"

Bryan took another swig of his water before clearing his throat and proceeding to the next topic.

"So where were you when Z-Day began?" Bryan asked.

"I was at this place called Chic's Beach," Jake began. "My friend Dylan and his buddy Julio hosted a graduation party there. Honestly, I forgot all about it; had plans to take Cassandra to this nice little restaurant in Virginia Beach called Il Giardino's."

"Celebrating graduation your own way?"

"That and a little more. I was gonna propose to her while the pianist played her favorite song."

Bryan nodded as he continued to listen to Jake's story.

"But during our last day at C.N.U.," Jake continued. "Dylan reminded me of the party. I told Cassandra about it when I got home, and we both decided to go to the beach instead."

"So did you still propose to Cassandra?" Bryan asked.

"I was gonna hold it off. But once Dylan found out, he wasn't having that; no sir. He dragged me up to the nearest stage that was set up, paged Cassandra on the microphone, then silenced that section of the party just so I could propose to Cassandra."