Chapter 22

The choppers soon landed back at the settlement in Mayo, where the remaining medics stood by waiting on their return. Once HR-Team Alpha's chopper landed, Kyle carried Kaylee, who was unconscious at the time of arrival, to the nearest medics carrying a stretcher. Once Kaylee was gently set on the stretcher, the medics rushed her to the infirmary tents to provide immediate first aid.

Jake and Tyrese were also escorted to the infirmary tents, where Tyrese's face was cleaned and patched with butterfly strips, and Jake's bullet wounds were firmly cleaned and stitched. Once the two were able to, they stood up and left the tent they rested in.

“We lost a lot of good men today,” Tyrese said. “It’s gonna be hell rebuilding our military.”

“We done it once,” Jake reassured. “We can do it again.”

“Here. You’ll probably need another set of these.”

Tyrese handed Jake a pistol and a K-Bar.

"Thanks, Ty," Jake smiled.

"No problem, Jake," Tyrese responded. "I'm gonna check on the council members and other survivors. You probably need to go check on Kaylee."

With that, Jake and Tyrese parted ways. Jake began making his way to Kaylee, who was in a separate infirmary tent. Kyle stood outside the infirmary tent, waiting to step inside as well.

"How is she?" Jake asked.

"I don't know, Jake," Kyle answered. "She was badly hurt. Elena is taking care of her right now."

Just then, a red haired nurse stepped out of the tent to greet Jake and Kyle.

"Elena," Jake pleaded. "How is she?"

"She's still unconscious," Elena answered. "But she's alive and stable."

"Can I see her?"

"I can allow one of you in here, but it'll have to be brief. She needs a lot of rest."

"I'll wait out here," Kyle volunteered.

Jake followed Elena inside the infirmary tent, where Kaylee laid sleeping in a bed while surround by two other nurses. Her wrists and ankles were wrapped, her face was cleaned up, and her cuts were cleaned and patched. She had an IV line in her arm, and she was suited with a clean gown, and covered with a cleaner blanket.

"Give it to me straight, Elena," Jake requested. "What all did you find out?"

"Whoever did this to her sure did a number on her," Elena answered. "I couldn't imagine how you and Kyle found her."

"You don't wanna know."

"Well, we got a blood sample from her. Hopefully we can find if anything was transmitted during the assault."

Jake held his composure, trying not to choke on the lump that began to form in his throat, as he stepped closer and gently brushed the few strands of Kaylee's hair away from her face.

"What's she looking at?" Jake asked.

"Honestly," Elena hesitated. "A lot. Are you sure you want the..."

"Yes. Please."

Elena hesitated as she pulled Jake near the exit.

"Okay," Elena continued. "Kaylee's throat was found to be bruised, and so was the back of her skull. Possibly from forced oral intercourse. Rope burns along her wrists and the underside of her knees. We don't have to keep going if you're not comfortable with this."

"I need to know," Jake responded as the tears began to trickle down his cheeks. "What is she looking at?"

"Everything. She was badly sodomized by the looks of it. Orally; rectally; her cervix was practically ripped open. Maybe even cut. She'll have a hard time walking for a while. She may never be able to have children. Intercourse may be painful indefinitely; and this is all just her physical state. Her mental state... will never be the same as it once was."