Chapter 4

As Jake made his way towards the infirmary where Joseph Boyer laid resting in, he was met up by Brandon at the military outpost nearby.

"Hey, Jake," Brandon started. "Sorry we couldn't get everything set up to leave sooner."

"No worries," Jake reassured. "I figured that it was gonna happen. We are gonna need extra soldiers guarding the borders though."

"I can arrange that. The only thing that might be a challenge is setting up that scouting group Bryan suggested. We have Scavengers for grabbing supplies, equipment, and the occasional survivor, but they have no idea what they're getting into."

"Yeah," Jake sighed. "Which is why I wasn't too fond of staying in this area. It's way too dangerous at the moment, and I have a feeling that it's only gonna get worse. Let's hope the new recruits are good at bearing a tough burden."

"One can only hope," Brandon agreed.

When Jake and Brandon arrived to the tent Joseph was staying in, they came across Caleb Lake, the doctor in charge of watching everyone in the tent.

"What's the situation on our newest patient?" Jake asked.

"Well he's not experiencing any symptoms of infection," Caleb answered. "He's past the five hour mark, so he's cleared. That scar of his wasn't that deep, but it is being monitored in case he gets any other infections like Tetanus. Overall, he should be out by morning."

"Did he have any visitors?" Brandon asked.

"Just his parents," Caleb answered. "You two are more than welcome to come in and check on him."

Jake and Brandon entered the tent and saw Joseph sitting up in his bed. His side was patched up neatly, and he was holding an opened bottle of water. He was talking to Heather, who was sitting in a chair next to him. Bill was standing propped up against a wooden post, with his arms crossed in front of him.

"Hey, Joseph," Jake greeted. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm feeling alright," Joseph answered. "I'm not sick or anything, and these nurses are really nice."

"Well it's not a hotel resort, but we do the best we can."

"I never did find out," Brandon started. "How did you get that scratch, if it wasn't from a zombie?"

"I had to unhinge a fifteen foot fence in our way," Joseph answered. "To get to the stadium. I had to move quick because there was a horde right on top of us. I scratched myself on the top of the fence, but I pressed on and removed the hinges on both sides of the fence."

"Seems like you were pretty quick on your feet."

"I do a lot of free running."

"Wait a sec," Jake interrupted. "Free running?"

"Well yeah," Joseph chuckled. "Have to get away from those things somehow, It could be a wall I need to run up, or a beam I need to run across."

"Or in your case, a fence to leap over?"

"Yes! Exactly!"

One of the nurses walked over to Joseph and the group holding a blood pressure cuff.

"I need to see your arm for a moment," the nurse requested.

Joseph raised his arm up, and the nurse wrapped the cuff around his left arm. As she applied pressure to the cuff, she placed a stethoscope on the main artery in his arm, slipping the microphone under the cuff.

"Let me ask you," Jake continued. "When Z-Day started, where were you guys at?"

"We were in Lake City, Florida," Bill answered. "Joseph was about to sign his papers over to join the Marine Corps."