Rainy Night (M. Jesse x Petra)

Inspired by the art above and the music in the rather long video below (don't play the whole thing).  Texts in italics are either thoughts or flashbacks. You'll figure it out... just start the music.

In this one, Vos survived the Sea Temple and the Admin never posed as him.  

[Petra]

As I trudge slowly through the wet grass field, heavy rain pouring on my already-soaked bandanna, I never realized I would be thinking this... but adventuring with Jack and Vos was the worst decision I made!

When Jack, my adventuring idol and hero, invited me to join him and Vos on their next adventure, I was so eager to join in.  It was so long after I had gone off on an awesome adventure throughout the great unknown, I couldn't resist this call.  

...

"Petra?" 

I was just at the gates, about to follow Jack, Vos, and Nurm, when I turned to see Jesse running toward me desperately.  The past few times, he had tried to stop me, was this going to be any different?

I sighed.  "Don't try and stop me, Jesse," I told him.  "I really have to do this.  I told you in that cabin, this is my calling.  The open road."

I braced for the expected desperate and pained rants that Jesse usually made about wanting to spend more time with me, as those days become rarer.  After all, he is my best friend, but it was not everyday one got to spend time with their idols.  

But I heard nothing.  Instead I felt the soft touch of his hand on my shoulder.

"I know," he said calmly.  "That's why I came to see you off."

This was shocking.  And Jesse saw that in my face, because he continued.  "I know how much you admire Jack, and how happy you were when we adventured with him," he said.  "And as your friend, I want you to be happy."  

I was at a loss for words.  "Jesse...?"

Jesse suddenly came forward and brought me in a tight hug.  I felt all his emotions pour out through the embrace, and I hugged back with the same feeling.

"Even if you forget about me, or the rest of the Order," said Jesse, "I—we'll never forget you."

"Geez, you two, we've gotta start sometime," grumbled Jack.

"I suggest you give them some space, okay?" said Vos softly.

I heard Jack sigh.  "Not for long.  Remember we're in a bit of a hurry."

I felt tears fall from Jesse's green eyes... those caring emerald-green eyes.  "Don't worry, Jesse," I assured him.  "You, Lukas, and the others are always on my mind.  No matter how much I talk about Jack."

Jesse hugged me tighter.  For what felt like the last time.  "I'll miss you, Petra."

I was too choked up to respond.  But before I could gather up the strength to do so, I heard Jack again.

"Come ON!!" he exclaimed impatiently.  "Hurry up, guys!"

I didn't want this moment to end.  But it had to.  We parted, and I walked toward Jack and Vos.  We saddled our horses and road off from Beacontown.  But I looked back one last time at the place I could never call home.  Jesse had his back turned already, but was still looking at me.