New Year Sunrise (M. Jesse x Petra)

What's up with me and posting things a day late?  First the Christmas special, now this?  Well, here you go to start off the new year...

There was always a way to celebrate the New Year.

Most would stay home to watch the annual float parade.

Others would celebrate and have parties.

But for Jesse and his friends this year, it was a trip out of town... to Yosemite. 

New Year's Eve

As the group's cars entered the main part of the park through the tunnel, the five friends gaped in awe at the sight before them.

But it wasn't exactly the park itself like it should be...

...it was the fact that no one else was there.

The tunnel opened up to a viewpoint where tourists could take a look at the massive valley before them, but usually, this place was crowded with tourists.

Now, there were only five people there: Jesse, Petra, Axel, Olivia, and Lukas.

"You sure picked a weird way to prepare for the New Year, Axel," said Jesse, though he was already pointing his camera at the scenery.

"So... if no one's here, we have the whole park to ourselves!" replied Axel.

"Yeah, but the park rangers gave us some weird looks when we checked in," pointed out Olivia.

"He did say most people were either at home or they're having fun at parties," said Petra.  "Not us."

"Eh, let's just have fun," said Axel, smiling.

As it was winter, it was cold... very cold.  And the land, the trees, and the mountaintops were all covered in snow!  Thankfully, the five were bundled up all in winter clothing... but that didn't stop Petra from wearing her bandanna underneath her thick jacket hood.

"This was definitely worth it," said Lukas, describing the scenery in his notebook.

The five friends went hiking down one of the snow-covered trails later that afternoon, talking.  Well... at least Axel was.  Everyone else was simply enjoying the scenery around them.

"Hey, look, the Yosemite Falls!" exclaimed Olivia, pointing at the massive waterfall before them.

The group stopped to take pictures, of the waterfall, and of each other, their laughter and chatter often breaking the tranquil atmosphere of the area around them.  Some of them (not Axel) observed the trail of clear ice where the flowing water normally would've been.  

The group had reserved cabins for the night in Yosemite Park, so they simply stayed around the park until the sun set.  They laughed, talked, had dinner, and messed around with the snow.

While Jesse, Petra, and Lukas shared one cabin, Axel and Olivia had to stay in another...

Later...

Jesse woke rather early... 

Dang, 4:50 in the morning? he wondered, when he checked his watch for the time.

He could also see Petra and Lukas, in their own separate beds, soundly sleeping and snoring.  Man, what a trip so far, he thought.

That's when he realized why he woke up so early... a common New Year tradition his family always liked to do...

He glanced over at Petra.  He wanted the chance to invite her along for this, but since all five stuck together the whole time, the others would know.  And having Axel around would always ruin a moment like this when it should be quiet.