2

Alena

I woke up with the sunlight burning through the curtains. I grabbed my phone to look at the time. "12:30!!" I shouted at my phone. I quickly got up and got dressed. I put on some sweats and a T-shirt, brushing through my thick blonde hair. There's no point of dressing up more since I have no one to impress. And I don't live to impress people.

I walk to the bathroom across the hall from me and brush my teeth and wash my face. It's my daily routine. My face is clear from all acne and sometimes if I'm going out I'll put a little bit of makeup. But usually I go exploring or diving and there's no need for makeup.

After I dry my face, I walk down the steps of my small home. It not much. It's all white, inside and out, the furniture is blue, there's a small dinner table next to the kitchen and upstairs is the two bedrooms. Mine and my parents. We don't really need anything more. We don't have a TV. Just a radio is all.

See my parents are scientists and there never really home. Really no one is ever home. I go the library every day expect weekends for my lessons. We don't have a school in Kymi because I'm the only actual kid here and the school shut down when all the other older kids left. This place is beautiful but not a lot of people want to stay in a raggedy old town with no school, no mall, no anything besides a couple of stores and a library.

We usually just import things I the island. Like food and clothes and other things. I love this island for what it is. When I turn 18 and be able to leave home I want to go travel the world. I want to fall in love and make real friends. I wanna have babies and watch them grow up. But I when I grow older I want to come back to this magic city and live here until I die.
_______

I reach the end of the step. As I walk to the kitchen I smell something delicious cooking. Usually no one is home so I just grab a banana or something and be on my way. But for today someone is actually here cooking. I'm going to savor this rate occasion.

I step into the kitchen to see both my parents in front of me. I have a big grin on my face as I said good morning to both of them.

"Goodmorning Alena!" My dad greeted to me.

"Goodmorning Papa! Goodmorning Mama!" I smile as I sit down at on of the chairs at the small dining table. My Papa is reading the paper as my Mama makes some Greek breakfast for us.

"Why are you guys here? Aren't you supposed to be at work?" I ask. My father looks at Mama for a moment, and they share a small glance at me.

"We have some news," Mama said looking kind of happy but there was a hint in her eye that I wasn't going to like the news.

"Oh well what is it?"

"We're moving." Mama says softly.

"WHAT!!" I scream.

"Why!?" My face shocked as can be. Why did we have to move? I want answers as to why we have to move from this beautiful place. I'm going to miss the cliff where I stand to watch the deep blue sea. I'm going to miss all the exploring I haven't done. I wasn't done exploring even though I've lived here for 17 years.

"I'm sorry Alena but we have to. Me and Kolina have been promoted. And they are transferring us to North America. You have been studying well at the library with Ms. Laria enough to learn all this English. And in America, you can go to a real school and explore there. You can make friends. You need to socialize with people your own age Alena. This will be good for all of us." Papa said said sternly.

"Anton is right Alena. This will be good," Mama said.

"Where are we moving to?" I wonder. It better be somewhere the has an ocean. They can't take everything away from me by moving there.

"We're moving to Charleston, South Carolina," papa said.