Chapter XXIV

"The first step in gaining some freedom from the prisons we construct for ourselves is to acknowledge that we're constructing these prisons in the first place

"The first step in gaining some freedom from the prisons we construct for ourselves is to acknowledge that we're constructing these prisons in the first place."

-Humble the Poet

Song: I was Made for Loving You By Tori Kelly ft. Ed Sheeran

ღ ღ ღ

THE LAST TIME I woke up this early was for an international dance competition. I let out a yawn, leaning my head against the window of the bus, Khalid blasting through the earbuds in my ears. It was gloomy outside as if it was going to rain in the dead of winter.

I glanced at the address on my phone briefly before looking out the window again. Henderson Enterprises should be around here. Slipping past the person sitting next to me I grabbed a railing, pressing the red stop button. The bus jerked to a stop and I thanked the driver as I skipped down onto the sidewalk, a cold breeze ran up my back.

Tucking a strand of hair behind my ear and pulling my beanie down further to cover my ears, I followed the map on my phone until it leads me to Henderson's giant skyscraper. From the outside, it looked intimidating and I could only imagine how bad it would be on the inside.

Warm air brushed against my face as I walked in, the main entrance decorated in a sleek black and white theme. I approached the main desk with the taunting giant H behind the lady sitting there. She looked as refine and posh as the rest of the people here, making me dressed in jeans seem rather underdressed.

Fuck, I knew this was a bad idea.

The only reason I took up Mrs. Henderson's offer to be part of the photo shoot for her new clothing line was that I didn't want to seem rude when saying no.

But this just seemed like a bad idea altogether.

"Hi," I squeaked dumbly to the receptionist.

She looked up from her computer screen and gave me a smile. "How can I help you?"

It sounded so fucking rehearsed.

"I'm supposed to help Mrs. Henderson with a photo shoot. I actually don't really know where I'm supposed to go."

Her eyes flickered over my appearance and I could see her hiding that snicker.

"15th floor." She says pointing toward the elevator.

I forced a smile even though I seriously wanted to slap that girl. If I wasn't already feeling uncomfortable about this, she just made it worse. Letting out a sigh I consciously looked around as I scurried toward the elevators. When the door closed and I was alone, I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

Leaning my back against the cold glass behind me and gripping the silver rail I took deep breathes in and out. This is such a bad idea.

And what made me think, dressing in jeans, a hoodie, and a beanie was a good idea? My winter jacket being somewhat nice didn't even make up for the fact that I didn't fit in. This was another world for me.