Chapter XX

"She was a beautiful rose engulfed in darkness

"She was a beautiful rose engulfed in darkness. A darkness she was afraid someone else would get lost in. Lost in, and tortured by her world of thorns. The thorns of agony that tore her life apart."

-Faiq Kiani

❁ Song: Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy By Lindsey Stirling ❁

ღ ღ ღ

THE COLD WATER trickled down my throat in a satisfying sensation while I untied my hair that was in its tight ponytail. I set my water bottle down on the bench where I sat and ruffled my hair with a sigh.

With Christmas around the corner and Jackson's party not too far along either, I find myself having not enough time on my hands for even myself. I have the eccentric tendency of going above and beyond what is required of me, dance especially. This would be my first-time dancing in front of people since my mother's demise.

A part of me was anxious while the other was filled with anticipating adrenaline. Many people I knew growing up in the dance community always had their fair share of stage freight or jumpy nerves before the performance. But for me, the nerves never happened before or during the performance, it was always during the practicing.

My mind would race with thoughts questioning the quality of my piece. Whether people would like it, whether it was creative enough or original, or whether I would find a way to mess it up on stage. Right now, I felt that.

I had to keep reminding myself that this wasn't a competition and that this was nothing but a Christmas party Jackson's father holds every year for his family and friends. And more importantly, Jackson would be there to cheer me on.

I smiled to myself as I remembered our conversation at my house right after our trip to the vet clinic.

"Do you get stage fright? There will be a lot of people there." He had asked.

"Not usually," I said with a shrug while settling down on my couch with a bowl of popcorn.

Jackson had taken it out of my hand while raising an eyebrow. "Cocky, are we?"

"Not cocky, I just don't feel nervous when dancing, I find a way to disappear into my own world. But I mean a part of me feels nervous at the thought of performing after so long."

"Then just find me in the crowd. Pretend it's just me and you at the dance studio in the rec center. I know less than the next person about ballet so I won't be one to critique your pirouettes and shit."

I laughed at that and felt an amazing rush of butterflies when he had joined in.

I sighed contently. My feelings for Jackson seemed to be getting stronger with each little thing he does. But then I go and wonder what it is I feel for Nate.