Chapter II

❁ Song: Sing Me To Sleep By Alan Walker ❁

"Sometimes I sit alone under the stars and think of galaxies inside my heart and truly wonder if anyone will ever want to make sense of all that I am."

-Christopher Pointdexter

ღ ღ ღ

MAYBE IT WAS a sign, receiving a text less than an hour ago from the person I had tried so hard to remove from my life for good.

Fate, you ask?

I wasn't one to believe in such crap but I can tell you for a fact that something was unsettling about this situation. I mean, a whole year of not even bothering to say even happy birthday to a girl you spent your whole childhood with? Especially after she tells you the secret that's been eating her alive for so long?

I blinked back tears. I needed him. I wanted him to help me. I wish he was there.

Lying awake in my bed, I couldn't stop thinking about what the boy that once had a special place in my heart had sent me.

Hey. It had simply read.

What kind of sick bastard sends a text like that after literally disappearing off the face of the earth for a year? I stared at my phone screen, lying on my back, and glanced at the ceiling detailed with constellation wallpaper.

Growing up, I had this weird obsession with things relating to the sky and astronomy. I would spend hours on end during the day or night observing the clouds, the stars and look through the telescope at the local observatory, wondering how such things existed in the world.

Wondering how these planets and constellations compel my soul to look up when I really couldn't deal with the life I was in below. How innocent these things seem, going on to infinity and beyond and leading me away from reality.

As Vincent Van Gogh used to say, "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream."

Dream of a better life, a better place, a better mindset, and something to help me cope with the demons inside my head.

I dropped my iPhone to my chest and hummed quietly to myself as I glanced at the window on the other side of my room. It was too cloudy and gloomy to even see the sky. A bright yellow light shone through the blinds with every passing car. I tapped my fingernails against the aluminum rose gold back of my phone, tapping down the seconds it took me to fall back asleep.

Glancing at the sleeping furry figure near my desk on the side near the window, I wondered how dogs could just easily fall asleep wherever they wanted while I lay here counting sheep like a five-year-old.

Forcing my eyes shut, I imagined a farm with sheep literally jumping over a fence.

One

Two