Chapter XIV

❁ Song: The Story of Us By Taylor Swift ❁

When you smile, it slices through to the very marrow of my bones. Every single time. 

-M. Ballard

ღ ღ ღ

When I was five-years-old, the house next door had a for sale sign that finally had been decorated with a SOLD sticker. With it being a newly developed area in town and there not being any kids my age around, the idea that someone new was moving in next door made me excited.

"When are the new people moving in mommy?" I asked, almost every day since I had spotted that new sign on a walk with my dad. Of course, I could not read back then but I had heard my parents talking about what SOLD had meant when they noticed it as well.

"Soon, sweetheart," She had always replied with a smile.

The day I woke up to the sound of a moving truck and saw through my window that a new family had arrived, my parents could hardly keep me inside.

"We need to let the family settle in first honey," my mother had said.

"But I want to meet the boy!"

I had broken down into a sobbing fit out of frustration when my parents would not let me leave the house. I had seen a blonde boy playing with a soccer ball in the front yard that morning and instantly wanted to make a new friend. Surprisingly, I was a lot more extroverted as a kid. I was always striking up a conversation with kids I would meet on the playground until I become well acquainted enough to plan out the playground trips so we could see each other.

That same day, I had gone with my mother to her dance studio for my dance class. On the way home. I saw the boy again, playing soccer on his own. The moving truck was long gone and lights were on inside the house, flickers of the parents passing the windows from time to time, moving things around the house.

My mother and strictly told me not to bother the family and come right inside for dinner, but while she was cooking and talking to my father, I had snuck out-still clad in my ballet clothes, tutu and all.

I was hesitant at first, scared with how my parents would react, but was too curious to really care. Walking toward the house, I had noticed that the boy was slightly taller than me and in a sense, I was intimidated. His blonde hair had covered his eyes slightly, and he was dressed in a pair of jeans and a soccer jersey with a player's name. 

He noticed me walking across the lawn toward him and instantly stopped kicking around his ball. His emerald stare was haunting as he gave me a dull but somewhat curious look.

"Hi, I'm Abigail! What's your name?" I had confidently introduced myself but the boy didn't seem to respond in any way.

I frowned. "Oh. Are you shy?" I asked softly, walking closer to him. My mother and always told me how to approach kids that were shy. I knew a few that were but managed to break them out of their shells. With this boy, it was no different. I was determined to talk to him and become his friend so I had someone to play with when I was home.