|8| Rather Unexpected House Guests

"ADELAIDE!" screamed Mrs. Fawley from down the hall. "ADELAIDE, COME HERE THIS INSTANT!"

"Coming mother," the small white-blonde nearly 12-year-old girl called back as she left her emerald green and silver bedroom (clearly decorated before she was so tragically and wrongly sorted into Gryffindor).

She padded down the marble stairs, turned the corner and entered the drawing room below and was shocked to find some rather unexpected house guests.

Sitting upon the black sofa in the dark room was none other than the Mrs. Walburga Black and her two sons, Sirius, and Regulus. Adelaide was absolutely ecstatic to see her best friend as well as Regulus who had become something of a pen pal the months after Christmas.

It had been about a month since they returned home from school for the summer and she hadn't seen any of her friends in all that time nor been able to send them any letters. However, being who she was, she hid her excitement with a face of utter indifference toward the guests. Only Sirius noticed the glint of excitement in her forest green eyes.

Adelaide politely greeted their guests and sat down beside her mother, smoothing out her robes.

"Ah Walburga, was just saying how young Regulus is looking forward to starting his first year at school. He hopes to be a Slytherin, isn't that right Regulus?"

"Yes Ma'am," the boy confirmed.

"Yes, Regulus understands our values much better than others..." Walburga said giving a pointed nasty look toward Sirius that did not go unnoticed.

It is important to note that while neither Mrs. Fawley nor Mrs. Black were at all fond of Adelaide's Gryffindor placement, they still believed her to be of the same mind as them in regards to blood purity and the like. They had absolutely no knowledge of her deep friendship with Sirius nor her mischievous escapades with the Marauders during school. However, they did know she was in friendly correspondence with Regulus.

Adelaide had to bite her tongue as she listened to Mrs. Black make one snide comment after another about her eldest son throughout their visit. She was relieved when her mother suggested that she give the boys a tour of the manor and grounds. Finally she would have some time to talk with her best friend.

As soon as they were out of sight of their mothers, Adelaide and Sirius both moved to embrace each other tightly. Once they were separated she gave Regulus a kind smile and light hug as well. "Oh Sirius I've missed your ugly misshapen face so much, you have no idea!" Adelaide exclaimed. Sirius tried to scowl at the insult but couldn't keep himself from grinning. "And Reg! It's so nice to see you again in person!" she smiled to the younger boy whose face lit up. "Come on! I'll show you my garden, we can talk there."

Grinning, she grabbed both boys by the hands and led them to the back of the house, through the french-doors, and on through the grounds until they reached an ivy covered doorway.

Though Sirius had been in her garden previously, it was at night and under very different circumstances. What he hadn't noticed before, was just how lovely and peaceful it really was. It was the complete opposite of the Fawley Manor in every way. It was full of light, freedom, and life.

The garden was protected from the outside world by great stone walls and pillars covered in ivy and creeping magical plants. It looked like the overgrown ruins of an old and ancient castle or palace. All around were willowy trees with delicate white, pale pink, and purple flowers and magical levitating plant tendrils lazily flowing in the non-existent wind. In the center of the garden there was a stone fountain with water lilies. The water was clear and sparkled in the filtered sunlight through the overhanging trees.