Chapter Sixteen

"So how is it?" asked Nicky to Lorna through the phone.

"It's so big, a lot bigger than our high school," she replied.

"Have you made any friends?"

"A few. I miss you Nicky."

"I miss you too Lorna, but we will see each other on Friday right?"

"Of course Nicky, I can't wait for you to come and visit. How are you by the way?"

"I'm good. I went out for a run this morning," Before Nicky became too ill she used to love running however when her heart began to deteriorate she no longer went out as she didn't have the energy for it.

"Oh wow Nicky, that's really good. Did you feel okay after?"

"Fine, I feel really great Lorna, the best I have felt in a long time."

"That's really great news Nicky. I have to go, I've got a class now. I'll see you on Friday."

"Yeah, I'll see you then. I love you."

"I love you too."

Nicky put down the phone and sighed. She sat in her big empty house alone. Red had gone to Russia for two weeks to visit her sons, Marka was away again, Lorna was in a different country and Alex and her other friends were spread all over the world. Part of Nicky wished she had gone to college, she felt left out. Three days, she thought, three days until she could see her Lorna again.

*****

Nicky looked at the college in front her her with a hint of intimidation flowing through he body. It was bigger than she could imagine. She noticed by a big oak tree a bench and she decided to sit on it while she waited for Lorna. Her thoughts began to drift to Lorna once again. She missed her more than she could ever imagine, although they spoke on the phone almost every night, Nicky missed being able to touch her.

"Hey stranger," said a familiar voice from behind, pulling Nicky from her thoughts. Nicky looked at Lorna. In Nicky's mind she looked even more beautiful than she remembered. She stood up and embraced Lorna in a warm hug. Lorna kissed her on the temple before pulling away slightly in order to get a better look at Nicky.

"I missed you Nicky," she murmured in her ear softly.

"I missed you too."

"Do you want me to give you a tour?" Lorna asked, her voice a little lighter.

"Show me the way," replied Nicky.

*****

After three hours of being shown around the whole place Lorna finally took Nicky to a coffee shop, on campus. They spoke about each other's lives for a bit until a mans voice interrupted them.

"Oh Vinny sit down," Lorna invited. He sat down on the chair the other side of Lorna.

"Nicky this is Vinny, my friend and Vinny this is Nicky, my girlfriend."

"It's good to meet you Nicky," Vinny said as he stuck out his hand. Nicky took it and half heartedly shook it.

Nicky watched as Lorna and Vinny spoke. Nicky couldn't help but feel a little left out. When Vinny said he had to go Nicky felt an instant rush of relief.

"I better go too," said Lorna. Nicky looked up at her in shock.

"What do you mean?"

"I have to get to class." Before Nicky could reply, Lorna had stood up and was rushing after Vinny. Just like how Nicky had watched then talk, she watched as Vinny put his arm around Lorna and pulled her in for a side hug.