Chapter Fourteen

One day post transplant

Nicky was laying flat on her back. There was around twenty different tubes coming out from her. Red was sat next to her. Nicky awoke from a nap. She had pretty much been sleeping since her surgery.

"Good morning beautiful," cooed Red. Nicky muttered something incoherent in response.

"How are you feeling?"

"Sore," murmured Nicky. Her voice was still croaky from the tube.

"Do you want me to get a Nurse to get you some pain medication?" Nicky nodded her head.

Soon a Nurse came in and began fiddling with one of the IVs in her left hand.

"In a couple of days we will be able to remove some of these tubes, it will make you more comfortable. Then you'll be able to sit up a little. Do you fancy something to drink?" Nicky shook her head.

"What about some ice cubes to suck on then? It will moisturise your mouth a little."

"Okay," replied Nicky. It hurt to talk but she began to feel the effects of the pain meds that the Nurse had given her.

The Nurse came back in and handed Red a plastic cup full of ice cubes.

"Just give her one of these to suck on, she will feel a lot better," she explained.

"Thank you so much."

*****

Three days post transplant

"And one more time Nicole. Breathe in," explained the Doctor as he pulled out the tube from the side of her neck.

"There, you'll be more comfortable now." He presses the button on the side of the bed and her bed began to move up a little. The same Nurse that helped her the other day covered up her hole where the tube had been.

Ten minutes after they left Lorna entered holding a basket of fruit. This was the first time they had seen each other since the transplant. Nicky let out a small chuckle.

"What's with always bringing fruit?" She asked. Her voice was getting a little stronger and louder.

"It's just a thing I like doing. Now shut up and give me a kiss." Lorna lent down and kissed Nicky on the lips.

"How are you then?" asked Lorna.

"A little better."

"Well I think that when your feeling better and your all cleared to travel, I think we should go back to Bora Bora."

"Hey, you said it right," said Nicky will a small smile on her face. Lorna laughed.

******

Five days post transplant

"Hey you," said Alex as she entered Nicky's hospital room. Nicky was sat in a comfortable arm chair beside her bed. She had convinced Red to go home to shower so it was just the two of them.

"What's that?" Nicky asked. Alex was carrying a plastic box.

"Oh Piper made it. I think it's fruit cake. She said she read that it was good for you or something. I kind of tuned out." Alex handed Nicky the box. Nicky took the lid of.

"Well I'll give it too her, it smells good."

"I'll make sure to tell her." Nicky began to laugh.

"What?" questioned Alex.

"Your like a proper domestic couple."

"I'm just staying with her while my Mum is away." Soon they were both laughing.

"So how are you?" asked Alex after they both stopped laughing.

"Still a little sore but I feel better. I definitely have more energy than I have had in months."

"Good. That's good."

*****

Sixteen days post transplant

"So if the test comes back and shows that your new heart is doing well then we will be able to release you. You'll still have to take it easy for a while though," explained the Doctor. Nicky nodded.

Three hours later when the test came back Nicky was released. She was packing her hospital bag with Red.

"And when you come back in a couple of days you'll get your PICC line and feeding tube removed," Red said excitedly. Nicky was relived when the Doctor had said that.

"Are you ready?" asked Red as Nicky zipped up her bag.

"Yep. I think so."

"Then let's get you out of here."

"For two days anyway."

Back at Red's, Nicky sat at her kitchen table.

"Chicken soup," announced Red as she brought in two bowels. She put one in front of Nicky and the other where she would be sitting. She then brought in a freshly baked loaf of bread and placed it down in the middle, with a bread knife next to it. She sat down at her space.

"This is amazing," said Nicky as she ate a spoonful of the soup.

"It's good to see you eating again. How are you feeling?"

"Better then I have had in a long time."

*****

Eighteen days post transplant

Nicky slumped down on Red's sofa after her hospital appointment.

"How does it feel to of had your PICC line and feeding tube out?" Red asked as she sat down next to Nicky, scrolling through the channels on the TV.

"Good."

"So what are you going to do now then?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean about college. It's not that far off."

"I don't know."

"Well you better start thinking."

"How would you feel if I just didn't go. I mean I don't have to."

"Why don't you want to?"

"I mean with everything that's been going on these last few years, I just want to not worry about anything. Maybe I could go next year."

"Well it's your choice honey. Do you know what's Lorna's doing?" When Red asked this, it was the first time that Nicky realised they may not even be in the same state soon.

*****

Thank you for reading. Please vote and leave a comment letting me know what you think. Thanks!