Chapter Nine

One week later

For Nicky, her first day back at school with her feeding tube was a big one. When she first got her PICC line she was able to hide it underneath long sleeves, which she still did, but her feeding tube was on her face for everyone to see.

As she walked through the school gates she saw Alex and Janae talking by a tree. She approached them, feeling more confident to walk through the doors with her friends. Alex had seen Nicky with it however Janae had not and she was nervous about her reaction.

"Hey guys," she said, trying to sound confident.

"Hey Nick," greeted Janae. Nicky was glad when she didn't mention anything. She truly had the best friends.

When they had to go into school, Alex noticed the worried expression on Nicky's face.

"It's going to be okay Nicky. If someone says something, we've all got your back."

*****

"Well look who it is," said Jessica as she saw Nicky with Poussey by the lockers.

"Go away Jessica," threatened Poussey.

"I like your new piece of jewellery Nicky," she snarled.

"I mean it Jessica."

"Where did you get it?"

Poussey snapped and slapped her.

"It's not worth it P. Let's go." Nicky took hold of Poussey's arm and dragged her away.

"We should go out for a burger later. Oh wait, you can't eat!" Jessica shouted after them, laughing as she walked away. When she left Poussey stopped walking.

"Are you okay Nicky?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go to lesson before Healy gives us detention for being late again."

*****

After school Nicky reluctantly pushed the big door to her house open. Just as she reached the kitchen she heard another one of Marka's parties. As she entered the kitchen her eyes fell to her mother who had her brother and sister either side of her. She walked slightly closer to hear what she was saying to the woman stood in front of them.

"And Matthew is getting married soon," she boasted, Nicky had no idea he had even proposed to his girlfriend.

"Wow you must be so proud of both of your children."

"I really am."

Nicky's face fell. This must be another one of Marka's friends who wasn't aware of Nicky's existence. Nicky walked over, wanting to see what the woman's reaction would be.

"Nicky," greeted Arianna happily. She embraced her sister tightly. After a few seconds she moved back to look at Nicky's face.

"Nick, what happened to you?"

"Nothing."

"But your tube."

"Just my new medication stopped me from eating. I'm fine." The two spoke for a few more moments before Nicky heard another voice.

"Nicole, I had no idea you would be here. I thought you would be at Galina's."

"Who's this then?" asked the woman towards Marka. However before you could Matthew spoke for her.

"This is Nicky, my sister." As he said that he pulled her in for a side hug.

"I didn't know you had another child Marka?"

"Nicole," Marka said an attempt to jog the other persons memory.

"Oh of course, I just assumed she had you know..."

"No," she replied hurriedly.

"I'm going to lie down," said Nicky, wanting to get out of that situation.

"I'll come with you," said Matthew, following her.

*****

As Nicky reached her bedroom she laid down on her bed and Matthew sat down next to her.

"So your getting married then?" Nicky asked.

"Yeah I proposed last week. We're hoping to get married in three months."

"Well congratulations I guess." She took her jacket off. Matthew's eyes looked at her PICC line that was bandaged up for better protection.

"What is happening with you Nicky. I mean you can't even eat anything. You have a PICC line and a feeding tube. Please tell me what is going on with you."

"What's there to say. I'm dying so..."

"Nicky! Don't say that! Please. Your not dying."

"I'm just so tired Matt, I can't even eat anymore."

"Things are going to get better." Nicky grumbled as a reply. Her eyes began to feel heavy.

"I remember when you were born Nicky. You were this tiny little shriveled up baby. To most people you were probably ugly but to me, you were my baby sister and you meant everything to me. When we found out that you were ill, nothing felt right. You weren't expected to make it to the age you are now but you have and everyday you are moving further up on that transplant list. Please don't give up now, you are so close to being okay and I don't want you to give up. You can still have a life, a life with Lorna. You can still be happy. You just have to keep fighting for a little longer." Matthew rubbed his thumb over her cheek. He looked down realizing she was asleep and probably had been throughout his whole speech. He didn't mind though. He could tell her again. Anyway he liked spending time with his baby sister.

*****

Please comment and let me know what you think of this. Even though I have the basic story line planned now, if there is something that you really want to see, let me know and I will try to add it in. Thanks!