Broken hearts and empty cups | T.H

Summary: Where Toms friends dare him to break up with you and he feels the need to prove a point. (Angst)

Words: 3033

Type: FRAT!TOM

"Do it, I dare you."

Tom let a sarcastic laugh fall from his lips, the dare originally coming off as a joke and he shook his head, folding his arms. The rest of the boys, as scattered around the library table as they were managed to stare him down- they seemed dead serious whereas Tom, was not. Instead, he felt a wave of anxiousness fall upon him.

Textbooks and writing pads were strewn around the wood, all open but not a single page had been read since they arrived nearly forty-three minutes ago. But neither of them really came to study media, journalism and sports as they'd originally discussed. The boys tended to be more invested in Toms relationship, more so taunting him for it.

"Don't be stupid, mate." Tom wet his lips, feeling uncomfortable with where the conversation was heading. How it even landed on the two of you? He was unsure.

"C'mon Tom, are you really that whipped?" Harrison, his best mate says with a sarcastic grin. Tom didn't answer and the boys ooh. "You're fucking whipped!"

They earn a few shush's from the surrounding students, some just packing up their things and heading away knowing that the frat wasn't planning to quiet down any time soon. The selection of boys pay no mind, all except Tom who felt a pang of guilt and he'd admit- it was something he'd only started to feel since making things official with you. Sympathy that was.

You had a heart of gold, one that was slowly beginning to beat for him and Tom didn't see how, in fact, he even doubted it at times but he was happy. The frat boy whose life had previously surrounded around partying, girls, handing his assignments in late and when he could- sleep had officially opened both his heart and mind and his friends wouldn't argue that he wasn't the same man as before.

"I'm not!" Tom hisses, voice just above a whisper as they earn glares from those around him. "Just don't want to really hurt her 'is all."

The boys scoffed. "C'mon, just do it. It's been like what? Four months now? That's four too many."

He would have told them that actually, it was five months. And those five months had been some of the best that had involved dates beneath the stars, drive-in movies and McDonald's dates at four in the morning but kept his mouth shut. Because those were his hidden secrets, his little goodies.

Harrison leans forward in his seat, noticing his mates discomfort and sighs, running a hand through his blonde quiff. Still, he didn't let his demeanour falter.

"C'mon lads let's leave him alone, Tommy boy's obviously too whipped to do anything."

James, one of the other boy's roles his eyes and taps his pen obnoxiously against the desk. "When was the last time you got anything? You've been moody lately."

Tom looked down, picking up the blue pen that had previously sat untouched and began to scribble something about an upcoming essay he knew he'd most likely leave until the last minute.

The answer was written all over his face as well as in the way he fiddled with the pen, sticking the end between his teeth and bit down. The answer was clear and it was enough for half of his 'friends' to double over in laughter, hands gripping their sides. It wasn't funny, he swore. It was his choice.

His phone vibrates twice in his pocket and Tom knew it was you, the screen flashing briefly with your name, a heart next to it that the boys would mock him for. The slightly cracked screen would light up with a picture of you smiling from ear to ear, his oversized shirt covering your arms and the area just above your breasts as you sat on the university campus, leaning up against a tree with your phone in hand.