The Stars That Night {15}

My parents weren't home yet, but I knew they'd be home soon. I didn't want them to see me upset. I needed to get out of the house.

                It was starting to get dark out. I'd told my friends I'd text them when I was ready, and they'd left me alone.

                Michigan was my only comfort right now, his head nuzzled in my lap as I stroked his fur. I was going crazy, sitting in the house trapped with my thoughts.

                "Up, buddy," I said, nudging Michigan's head out of my lap. I kissed his head as he picked it up. "Thanks for the comfort. You're the best boy."

                He licked my face as I pulled it away from his. I smiled a little, petting behind his ears before getting up and grabbing my phone. I changed into swim trunks and a T-shirt before calling Silas.

                "Yea?" he answered.

                "I'm picking you up. Wear swim trunks," I said.

                "I could be busy," he said.

                "You could be. But I'm willing to bet you're just sitting at home," I said. "Come on, stars."

                "Fine. But don't think we're doing this all the time," he said, and hung up.

                I left a note for my parents before getting in the car and driving to Silas's house. I could've called one of my friends, but I just didn't feel ready to talk about it with them yet. I didn't want them to look at me with worry. It would drive me crazy.

                Silas was a neutral party, though. Doing something with him meant I could pretend everything was fine, just for the night. Just until my brain could convince my heart that everything really would be fine.

                So I pulled into Silas's driveway. He opened the front door and came out, getting into my car.

                "What's this all about?" he asked, dressed in swim trunks and a tank top.

                "You'll see," I said, holding the aux cord out to him.

                He took it and plugged it into his phone, picking a song. We rolled our windows down, the air outside cooling as the sun set. Silas looked out as the sun slipped below the trees and out of sight as we drove. That fascination on his face made me feel better.

                I'd broken up with my boyfriend today. My mind was on the ugly feeling, that sucker-punched feeling in my gut. But Silas sat next to me, fascinated by the sun setting, amazed by something as simple as a sunset. I took a deep breath of that fresh air rolling over us, my body relaxing a little.

                I parked and understanding came over Silas as we got out of the car and walked the trail together, the sound of the waterfall coming closer and closer. When we emerged in front of it, I looked around to make sure it was just the two of us here.

                "Swimming and stars. I thought you might like that," I said.

                He just stared at me for a moment before finally speaking. "Why? Why do you care if I like it or not?"

                I turned to face the waterfall, my eyes tracing the flow of the water. "I'm so used to all of this. To swimming at the base of waterfalls and watching the stars and just experiencing nature so closely. I forget other people don't have that luxury. I want to share it with everyone I can."