Midnight Flight

I sighed as I walked into my room. A headache threatened to build behind my eyes, and I rubbed my hands over my forehead. The cold in my fingertips helped ease the pain a little, but what would really drive it away would be no more being queen.

I know I was the heir of Arendelle, the queen. It was my duty to serve my kingdom. And I did like it...most days. Today wasn't one of those days.

Wesselton had been trying, again, to reenact our trading treaty after that crazy debacle with the Duke happened and I'd nullified any trades between our kingdoms. I had to give that kingdom props - they were persistent.

Anna was all for going for the deal again, but she'd really never had much of a business mind. I didn't blame her. I'd rather be out riding in Kristoff's sled, gallivanting in the fields with Olaf, or even sliding down banisters. Anything but sitting in that big hall with ministers and advisers and barons and such droning on and on in my ears.

Kicking my shoes off into the corner of my room, I flopped down onto my bed. Little swirls of snowflakes danced into being above me, but I didn't pay them any attention. My power was easier to deal with now, but I still kept it in check as much as possible when out and about. The people weren't terrified of me anymore, but still, seeing their queen wielding the power of ice and snow had to be in the least disconcerting.

But there, in my room, I was free to create piles of snow and frost the walls and ice my bed if I wanted to. No one came into my room.

No one except Jack.

~

It was a warm summer night. Warm and summer weren't my things. I preferred snow days and frosty winds and icicles hanging from the eaves. Speaking of icicles, as I drifted on the lazy warm breeze, I tapped my staff against the roof of a house.

Icicles grew in crackling, frosty pillars from the house and frost curled over the glass of the windows.

"You're welcome," I grinned, already seeing the puzzled looks of the house owners when they saw the melting ice in the morning. "Just a little gift from Jack Frost, nothing big."

Elsa would chew me out about it, most likely. But that's if she found it. Lately she'd been so busy being queen and listening to boring fat men and acting all busy and tired she hadn't had time to notice many things outside the castle...not to mention no time to have fun.

When she was younger, trapped in her room, she jumped eagerly at any chance I gave her to have fun. Snowballs fights on the rooftops and in the great hall, bouncing on her featherbed, painting in frost on her ceiling, and flights over the ocean and in the clouds.

Well, it was time Elsa remembered what fun was, and I was just the one to bring that about.

"Elsa?" I hissed, landing on the ledge outside her window. She had her drapes pulled over the window, something she'd been doing since she started getting older and I'd started to realize that she wasn't staying a little girl.

I tapped on the window with my staff, frost spreading out from the wooden tip to curl in feathers across the glass. I hoped she was here. It would be just my luck that she'd be at some fancy dinner or talking to those crazy suitors that came.

I imagined Elsa talking marriage plans with some foreign prince, and a snort escaped from me. Princes didn't know her, they wouldn't ever be able to. Right?

A strange feeling, almost like fear, twisted through my stomach right as the drapes stirred and Elsa stood there framed in the darkness of the drapes. Elsa wouldn't abandon me, her only friend, for some prince...would she? She wouldn't.

Elsa's white-blonde hair was falling out of her loose braid, and strands tumbled down in front of her face as she reached across the wide window bench towards the latch on the windows. She glanced at me briefly, a tumble of emotions captured in the blue of her eyes. My stomach twisted even more as the window swung open.