Chapter Nineteen: Bad Luck

I just watched as the ambulance took away Ouma's mother to the hospital before glancing over at Ouma.

"Aren't you going to go with her? She's your Mom" I asked and he didn't respond for a while before signing 'I don't think I want to' he signed before pausing.

'She was my ride home' he signed before he began seemingly to search his chair.

Wait, so he has NO ONE else who can take him home?! Seriously a blind practically paralyzed boy who can pass off as a kid alone on the streets probably bumping into everything?!

Ouma then seemed to have a white stick I guess so he doesn't crash into stuff and he turned his head to me.

'Weapon of choice very affective' he signed. Ouma can make jokes? OUMA can make jokes?

"Do you want me to take you home actually?" I asked and Ouma seemed to pause before shrugging 'if you want to I guess, don't you need my address though?' He signed.

Oh shoot he's right I don't know where he lives...

"Yeah an address would be helpful...you sure there is no one else I should call though?" I asked and Ouma shook his head.

He doesn't like admitting to needing help huh?

'My address is 67 Sakura Drive' he signed I nodded to myself "got it" I then grabbed onto his chair and began pushing him towards where I can only assume his home is.

It was...weird walking beside Ouma. I never really had friends, I would always be seen hiding behind a hat from my uncle and everyone would ignore me for not being as social and liking to read.

Yet...somehow the second I saw Ouma I was drawn to them. Maybe because I thought I finally found someone weaker than myself. So I could feel more confident and comfortable...or maybe the mystery is what drew me in. Yet...it's not like that anymore.

I actually really care about how he is doing. I want to see the person who jokes with his friends and is always causing mayhem inside of him. I want to be able to see his true self- at least for once in my lifetime.

Yet, would I really be able to? He, like me, has shut out the world. To be honest who can blame him after what he endured? After all he was forced to watch and experience. Maybe one day though...he can learn to trust me-

"Oh look it's that brat again!" A large man taunted pointing at Ouma who could be seen frozen, yet I noticed his hands shaking.

"Ah look at him! Not so tough without his little gang" a women snickered "get out of our town you punk! You and your unrefined *ss doesn't belong here!" Another screamed as I noticed kids from the schoop grabbing rocks.

"This is for tattling!" They screamed when I ran in front of Ouma and did my best to protect him.

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?" I screamed finally having enough.

They all stopped as I lowered my stance and turned around to see Ouma covering his ears and closing his eyes and sighing.

"There not going to hurt you- I won't let them" I whispered quietly before turning to the crowd.

"Look at him! LOOK at him! Don't you see that he isn't the same person who tormented you? Don't you see how much he has suffered and lost?! He can't even WALK anymore and yet you guys think it's ok to be throwing rocks and stones at him for events that happened years ago?! One's where he was defending the ones he loved?! Are you all so egotistical that you can't see that?!" I screamed and there were murmors around the crowd before I stood down.

"You don't have to be nice to him, but you shouldn't be cruel either" I said calmly. I then started pushing Ouma back down the street getting glares and middle fingers the whole way down...

This isn't over...is it?

I then looked down at Ouma who was still covering their ears before grabbing his hands lightly and taking them off.

I could feel how nervous and tense he was just by touching them before quietly stating "it's over, they are all gone don't worry" I smiled.

'Thank you Saihara' he signed still shaking, I sighed "do they always treat you like that?" I asked and he nodded.

'They often ask my Mom why she didn't kill me when I was born or why did she agree to have the spawn of satan' he signed.

'Maybe they are right though, back then I wasn't a really good person to anyone except my friends' he signed.

'So I guess this is my punishment' he signed "even if you weren't a good person then it doesn't justify how they treat you now, because Ouma I think as of now your a good person...sure maybe not social but defiantly not a bad one"

He paused 'do you really think that?' He signed.

"Of course" I said as I finally got into Sakura drive "I'd like to think we can be friends" I said.

He didn't respond to that but I wasn't really expecting him to as I approached the house.

"Hey where did you put your keys?" I asked before Ouma just froze 'oh shoot' he signed. Don't tell me...

'She has the keys we only have one set' he signed and I sighed.

"So we just walked here for nothing...and you have no where else to go...unless...do you want to come to my house?" I asked and he paused.

Oh wait a second that might not be a good idea...she is there and she doesn't exactly...like Ouma.

'If you text my Mother...it should be ok' he signed finally and I nodded "ok then I'll take you to my house...good things it's the weekend" I stated before beginning to walk again.

"T-thank y-you...S-Sai...hara..." they stuttered out and I couldn't help feeling a sense of pride in hearing his voice.

"No problem Ouma"