Chapter 5: War

Ever since I came to the Country of Hearts it never really came to mind that the people I have spent all my time with are fast to pull their weapons and are always geared to the teeth, it never fazed me that the Hare I have a crush on almost shot me the first time I saw him. Things change so fast, in this Country time heals everything and I prove that by my relationship with Blood. It's been a while since our deal, and I agreed to it, now every time I stop by for tea he let's me borrow a book to read from his library.  The fiction selections are more intriguing than that of the Castle, it gives me something to do when I need a break from going going going all the time. Lately the Castle has been preparing for the ball, I guess they had one a long time ago and it's time for it again.

Vivaldi has been busier than I have the past few time periods, now with the ball not to far away she wants everything to be perfect. Peter has been helping with invitations and a guest list and I, well I've been helping as needed but they don't seem to want my help so I go visit Julius or one of the other territories while they plan. Honestly, a ball wasn't my cup of tea, the closest thing of come to a ball is my brothers graduation party and I only wore a dress because I was told I had to.

When I woke up today, I felt like something was going to be in my favor today. Vivaldo, Peter, and Ace hard at work I left to go return my book I borrowed from Blood, go try out a new roller coaster at the park with Boris, and see if Julius needed anything from town while I was out. Trying to stay busy kept my mind off things most the time, especially since I've been really homesick lately and the vial seems to not be filling as fast anymore. As I turned to walk down. the path to the Hatter's, Pierce Villers came running after me he looked scared to death and he hid behind me.

"Sky help! The mean man is after me and I didn't do anything wrong this time" He squealed pointing to the cloaked figure with the mask, the same one I saw before our pool party.

"Everything will be okay Pierce" I said out of fear trying to calm to mouse.

The figure came closer and pulled his sword to face us, his cloak masked in blood stains and rips, I didn't know what to do ad I watched him approach. Pierce shaking from behind me and I was frozen, trying to gather my thoughts.

I whispered, "Pierce your pistol, hand it to me."

He scrambled to grab it and handed it to me, "Here Sky, what's your plan"

I replied shaking, "I don't have one" I raised the gun and put my hand across Pierce. The barrel pointing right at the masked figure, "Pierce did nothing wrong, he didn't break the rules" I said sternly and the figure stopped not too far from my barrel. He raised his weapon and dashed for Pierce and I, grabbing Pierce and throwing him to a nearby tree. "Pierce go get help" I yelled and he darted for the Hatter's. The masked man still after me i shot once or twice but missed, whoever this was, knew what they were doing. Cocking back the trigger again I dodged another swing, the two handed sword I did not recognize anymore than the person welding it, tiring out I shot aiming for his arm hoping he would only be wounded and not killed. It hut him right where I wanted it to, a small victory in my mind, though he seemed to only get more pissed. Jerking his sword it turned into rifle, of course, and he aimed at me. Bang. A loud shot went off and I fell to the ground, a sharp pain went through my shoulder and then I went numb. Everything went blurry and all I saw was a figure in a red coat by my side. Blackout.

When I awoke next I was resting in bed, my eyes lazily fluttered open to see Elliot asleep on my bed side, and Ace by the door way. Alice walked in to see me awake and she approached my bedside next to Elliot, she leaned in and smiled.

"Good morning, you've been out for quiet a while now. Are you okay" she asked looking at my side. I glanced down to see white bandages covering my whole top half and everything had come back to me, I was shot by that guy! But in the moment I smiled and nodded to Alice, I didn't want her to worry. As she left Ace walked over smiling and rubbing the back of his neck like he always does when he doesn't know what to say.