3 - THE PAST

Flashback

"SHEILA, are you avoiding me?" Kayla asked her friend when she noticed that she was leaving.

It was after school hours. Often they stayed in the school for a few minutes before going home. They will be graduating in a few months anyway.

"I need to be home early."

"You barely come with us. Did we offend you in any way?"

She shook her head and look down. She noticed that she was holding at her back pack tightly.

Among her friends Sheila was the quiet and bashful one. Almost timid if you didn't know her. She was treated kindly compared to their other friends since most of them has breezy attitude.

"What' wrong?"

Sheila bit her lower lip. It shows that she is stressed.

Still looking at her feet, her shy friend respond. "My mother doesn't want me to be with you guys, anymore."

"W-why?" She asked, surprised by the statement.

Her friend started sobbing as they stood facing each other.

"I'm sorry, K-kayla. I tried to defend you from mom but she told me to stay away from you."

She looked away. "What else did your mom say?"

"Mrs. Gutierrez told mom that your mother had you out of wedlock and that might happen to me, too if I continue my friendship with you." Sheila grab her wrist when she did not even glanced at her. " Kayla, my mom is just worried about me. I h-hope you understand."

"Did you tell your mother how I chased away your bully and suitors? Did you tell your mother how I took care of you? That I drunk your share of alcohol so that you will be sober when you get home?" She asked. Her voice is laced with bitterness.

She glanced at her when she heard nothing. Her friend refused to meet her eyes.

She sigh deeply. She removed her hold in her wrist before leaving. She turned deaf with her calls and sob as she walked away.

End of flashback

"You're thinking about it again?"

She glanced at Bernadette as she sat opposite her. Her long time friend is holding a glass of brandy in her hand.

"Ain't that early for that?"

She smirked before shaking the glass a little. "Cheers." She drank it in one gulp before pouring another.

"Why do you chose to stay, B?"

Her friend stared at her before answering. "Because you're worth it."

She smiled, grateful that her friend appreciated her.

"No matter what that old hag told my grandma, we didn't believe her bullshit because we knew who you are."

"Thank you."

"No, thank you, K. Without you, I may not be where I am today."

She chuckled. "Wherever you are today, your gramms will not be proud. We'll both receive a couple of spanking of what you are doing."

Bernadette released a laugh. "I'll just explain that you have nothing to do with my decision this time."

She shook her head in amusement. "Find a guy and settle down, my friend. Those guys you dated aren't your forever after."

Her friend shake her index finger between them. "No. marriage ain't for me."

"B, not all marriages will end up like mine. You are not as fucked up as I am."

She stood up and squeezed her friend's shoulder before leaving her to herself.