18 - GO, GET THEM TIGER

SHE did not bother to look at Bernadette when she sat beside her. She was currently at her mother's house.

After she left the office she went to Heidi's house. Mrs. Capinpin told her that her daughter was in the school. She went there also. However, Heidi was not there according to her colleagues.

Phones were useless. Heidi's just keep on ringing.

She found Bernadette gone but when she returned again, she was holding two bottles of beer. She gave her one.

"Heidi barged in my office this morning."

"She was with you?"

Her friend took a swig before facing her. She stared at her. However, she stared back.

Why didn't she thought of her friend when she can't find Heidi?

"What happened, Kayla?"

"Ginger happen."

"The ex-wife, huh."

"Yeah."

She drink hers. She put it down almost half empty.

"I brought her home after we ate lunch. Have you had yours?"

She shook her head . With her current situation, she is not in the mood for food.

"The girl was devastated. She asked me about Ginger."

"What did you tell her?"

"It's not my story to tell, K. Talk to her." Bernadette empty her bottle. "The girl likes you, my friend. You have to do something about it if you want to make this relationship work."

"I know."

"Make it work this time, Kayla King."

"I know."

"Go. Get your family."

With a smile this time, she get up and bolted for the door.

Mrs. Capinpin let her in when she knock.

"My daughter is in her room. Diego and I will be at the groceries."

"Thank you, Mrs. Capinpin."

The woman gave her a knowing look before leaving.

She took a deep sigh before knocking in Heidi's room.

"I want to be alone, mom. Can you please take care of Diego for a while."

She exhale when she heard that. She was thankful that the door was not locked when she turned the knob.

She found Heidi lying in bed. Her back is facing the door.

"I'm okay, mom. Please let me be."

She silently walked towards the bed. The bed dipped when she sat.

"I'm sorry."

The surprised on Heidi's face was apparent when the young woman faced her. The other woman sat and leaned her back on the head board.

"What are you doing here?"

She noticed that Heidi's eyes were puffy from crying. Her button nose were a little red.

"Would you listened to me if I explained?"

A few seconds of silence, Heidi nodded but still looking away.

"Ginger was my wife. We were together for three years but it ended two years ago."

"I'm not a mistress?" She asked in small voice. She meet her eyes this time.

She shook her head. "Were divorced."

Heidi pouted. The next thing she knew, the young woman fling her arms around her. She was sobbing.

"I felt so bad this morning, Kayla. I thought you're still married and you 're just having this hero complex Miss Barrios told me about." The young woman said in-between hiccups.

She hugged her back. "I wouldn't propose if I'm still married."

"I'm sorry for doubting you."

She caressed her back since Heidi cannot seem to stop crying. "Thank you for listening, Heidi."

She felt the young woman leaned in her chest. She kissed her head and look down.

"Are we good?" Heidi nodded. "You're not running away?"

"Not this time, Miss King."

"Great. I'm tired of people leaving me."