The Bump

“Shit”

This cannot be happening. I did not just bump into someone and spill the five coffees I was holding all down the front of my blouse. Great. This is just how I wanted the first week of my new job to go. Now I definitely have to go home and change.

I looked down. “Seriously?!” Yep, the silk blouse you just spent half of you upcoming check on is ruined. Great.

“I’m so sorry, let me get some napkins.”

“Don’t bother, it’s ruined anyway.”

“Well we can’t have you walking out of here dripping wet. Let’s at least dry you off.” And with that, the shadow over me scampered away.

I was so absorbed at checking out the damage on my outfit that I hadn’t looked up to see who the voice belonged to.

I slumped over to the nearest bench where the receptionist was giving me a horrified look. “Yes, Pam, I know I look like an idiot right now. Will you send Mr. Parker an email saying that I spilt the coffee and have to run home? I can’t go upstairs looking like this.”

“Sure thing, but do you know who that was?!” Pam asked excitedly. She was a couple years younger than me and looked like she was about the have a heart attack.

“No, I didn’t get a look. I was more concerned with this,” I motioned towards my now stained front. Looking at it now, the mocha coloring on the tan could be seen as artistic if you play it off just right. I could start a trend.

“Sorry it took so long, love. The break room was out of tissues so I had to find a restroom.” The mysterious voice was back. Looking up, I’m face to face with the most gorgeous brown eyes I have ever seen.

“I-it’s ok. I’ll be fine, really.”

He handed me the tissues and I start patting at the worst of it, drying off where the coffee had splattered my skirt and legs.

“Is there anything I can get you?” He looked worried.

I just laughed. “Yeah, five new coffees for the marketing conference room and a new blouse.” Sarcasm is my coping mechanism.

“Ok, let me just make a couple calls.” He started to take out his phone and I quickly stopped him.

“I was just kidding. Pam,” nodding to her, “has already sent an email about the coffees and I’m going home to change. I get to use my ‘I’m new’ card a little sooner than I hoped, but that’s what it’s here for.”

“You’re new here? There aren’t many Americans in the office, I should have guessed. That’s great. What do you do?”

“I just joined the marketing team. I’m an account assistant for a few musical acts. You’ve probably heard of them, the only one I recognized was One Direction. What about you? Do you work here?”

He looked a bit confused. “Yeah, I… work here. You’ll really like One Direction, I’ve heard they are some nice guys. I never caught your name.”

So much for my manners. I stuck out my hand. “Daisy, like the flower.”

“Well, Daisy like the flower, my name is Lee. It’s nice to meet you.” He shot a quick look at Pam that I didn’t quite catch. When I glanced at her, she quickly looked away. Weird.

“Lee, it was really nice to run into you, but I need to get home and change.”

“I was just heading out, I’ll walk you to the garage.”

“Oh, thanks, but I was going to catch a cab. I don’t have a license here.”

“Oh, let me drive you! It’s the least I can do.”

I could just feel the smirk starting. “How do I know you aren’t a serial killer?”

“He’s not!” Pam practically shouted at us. And just as quickly she was typing madly at the computer as if she hadn’t just interrupted.

“I guess the verdict is in. I’ll take that ride.”

With the biggest grin on his face, Lee pointed me in the direction of the elevator (lift, it’s a lift here) so we could descend to the garage.