11: Sister Mary Screams, "Murder!"

I went to bed that night feeling tense with excitement. Lord knows I battled the urge to rush out in my nightgown and study what I had seen, but I figured it could wait until morning when I could see better and be less conspicuous. My small room seemed to shrink around me, suffocate me until at last my body gave out and I succumbed to sleep.

The next morning I was awoken by the smell of bacon and fresh baked biscuits. My body sprang from the bed nearly hitting my head on the canopy frame. I reached up and suddenly noticed a worn groove in the canopy rail like something course and strong had rubbed away the varnish. I shrugged and dismissed the idea. Immediately I adorned my newly acquired slippers and suited myself to a comfortable attire. I made the final touches to my coif and soon I was off like a blissful puppy eager to follow my nose to the delicious smell.

Down the steps I fumbled clearly showing no mindfulness of my safety. Thank goodness for the structural integrity of the old jointed banister otherwise I would have sent it cascading over the edge with my paunchy body in quick pursuit. A nun falling to her death as she rushed to get bacon, now that is a death worthy of a massive tombstone and the words, "Death never smelled so delicious." But thankfully I found myself at the bottom of the stairs, unharmed and hungry.

The kitchen came into view. It's door open and the sound of people talking echoed from within. Light entered from the windows falling on top of a large wooden table. I slid inside a smile radiating off my face.

"Good morning! God bless everyone!" I cried clapping my hands in joyfulness.

"Why good morning, Sister Mary," said Michael seated at the table along with Gloria, Susan, Giles, and Janet at the stove. Baines came in for a second grabbed a rag from the sink and then left through the back door.

"Good morning," said Janet smiling as she placed more bacon on the frying pan. "Good to see you awake. Hope you like bacon and eggs and some southern biscuits and gravy."

"It sounds divine," I said taking a large sniff.

"Come sit," said Giles patting the seat next to him. He was sipping a large cup of coffee. The local newspaper sprawled across the table before him. I sat.

"You look right fine this morning, sister," said Susan bringing me a cup and the coffee pot. "Would you like some coffee?"

"Why thank you, Susan. Yes, I would. Do you have some sugar?"

"It's over in the second cabinet," motioned Janet. I dropped two large cubes into my coffee and stirred it with a spoon.

"Would you like some sugar for your coffee, Michael," I said smiling.

"No, thank you, Sister Mary."

"Hmm. Alright then." I took a sip of the warm liquid. Oh so good.

"Did you sleep well," said Janet as she brought a plate of food down in front of my face.

"Yes, I did," I lied. In truth I hardly slept at all, but I didn't need a full night to be alert. I was still pretty young.

"Good," said Janet. "Now eat up. I made plenty for everyone."

Gloria reached into the biscuit basket and pulled out two biscuits. She plopped her feet on the table and taking a bite from each one she munched to her heart's content.

"Feet off the table, girl," said Janet slapping the girl's leg with her hand. "You know better."

"You ain't my mom," said Gloria rebelliously her mouth full of food.

"I'm about to be worse if you don't listen." Janet gave Gloria a look that even made me swallow hard and uncomfortably. "Now where is Pearl and more importantly where is your mother?"

"Pearl was up late reading no doubt. Probably sleeping in." Michael sighed. "And mom, well, who knows."

"Look at this," said Giles pointing to the paper, his face growing with concern. "Another child has gone missing. This one a little girl, age nine. Taken yesterday morning when she was playing on her front lawn. That makes ten children now missing."

"Oh the poor dear," said Susan turning to look. "Nancy Bourgeois. A darling from her picture. Bless her heart."

"Probably the parents fault for not paying closer attention to their kids," snapped Gloria while scarfing down another biscuit. "Serves them right."

"Now, Gloria, you know that's not true. These parents are probably worried sick about their little girl."

"Yeah, yeah," she responded. "And did mom ever worry about us?"

"Speaking of your mother. I'm worried about Mrs. Stanton." Janet stepped into the hall and looked up the stairs. "It's unlike her to sleep in this late."

I heard the clock chime down the hall. It was nine o'clock. Suddenly there came a scream from upstairs followed immediately by a large THUMP! The ceiling shook and the crystals on the chandeliers rattled. It felt as though the whole house had shifted on its foundation. We all jumped from our chairs and two by two hurried up the stairs.

"Pearl!" yelled Michael. "Pearl! That was Pearl screaming."

"Ms. Pearl!" shouted Janet. "Mrs. Stanton!"

Pearl's door burst open. The girl fell forward on her knees. Tears flowed off her cheeks.

"A snake!" she hollered while scooting from the door. "There's a snake in my room!" Janet reached down to comfort the shaken Pearl.

"Where is it?" shouted Brandon rushing into Pearl's room. He checked under the bed and behind the door. "I don't see it."

"It slithered from under my bed and went into mom's room under the door. I saw it."

"Denise," cried Giles pounding on the door. "Denise, wake up." He jiggled the handle. "The door is locked." He knocked again. "Denise!"

"Try the other doors," said Michael running into his room. Susan tried Pearl's connecting door.

"It's locked," cried Susan.

"They're both locked," said Michael returning to the hall.

"Denise!" cried Giles once more. "She's not answering. Something is wrong."

"I'll break it down," said Michael. "Out of the way." He started slamming his shoulder into the door. Finally after one strong shove the door burst open.

We all filtered inside. Mrs. Stanton lay there silently in her bed, her mattress slightly askew. Her arm hung over the edge and even from this distance I could see two red marks on her wrist.

"Mom!" cried the children in unison.

"Look for the snake," yelled Brandon. "Be careful it might be venomous." While Brandon searched Giles, Janet, Michael, Gloria, Pearl and Susan rushed over to Mrs. Stanton.

"Lift her head," said Michael, "And help me move her.

"Her heartbeat is faint," said Susan as she checked her pulse on her neck and wrists. "Denise, can you hear me?"

For a moment Mrs. Stanton opened her eyes and reached for the bible on her nightstand. It fell to the floor and slipped under the bed. She gasped and rolled over. Her body started to convulse, eyes glazed over, and before anyone could react her body went suddenly still. She was dead. We all stood silently. No one moved.

"Call the doctor," whispered Giles. No one moved. "Janet, call the doctor now!" Janet rushed out the room to the phone in the hall. I heard her frantic words pierce the silence.

"Yes," she cried. "Come now! Mrs. Stanton is... I don't know. Dead maybe! Snake bite. I don't know which snake. Come quickly!"

I walked around the bed my eyes scanning the mess on the floor. Something was not right. By the nightstand was the shattered remains of a vase. The canopy cloth and ropes that should have been on the wooden frame were resting in a heap on the ground. Mrs. Stanton lay there. Her eyes quietly staring at the ceiling, mouth open. Then I saw it. I turned to the hallway where Janet was still talking on the phone.

"Janet!" I yelled. "Call the police! Let them know that was no snake bite. Murder! Murder! Mrs. Stanton was murdered!"